From: ada_daddy@my-deja.com
Subject: Re: Message passing code
Date: 1999/06/24
Date: 1999-06-24T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <7ksh2u$e1e2@svlss.lmms.lmco.com>,
  dkristol@see-my.sig wrote:
> Over the years i have worked on a number of
projects that have
> implemented various message passing schemes
for "unique" hardware.
> They usually had a number of traits in common
(ports and channels).

> Is there a standard interface for such things,
and if so, is there
> source code that will work without modification
(i.e. standard Ada)
> in a single program, and only need modification
in localized
> places (child packages) to work with specific
hardware?

> Thanks for any help that will keep me from
reinventing another wheel.

It really depends upon what you mean by message
passing systems.
If you want to pass messages between Ada tasks,
then yes.
Ada provides Rendezvous and protected objects for
passing
messages between tasks. These are all implemented
in a
hardware independent manner.

Jim Rogers
Omnitech Robotics, Inc.