From: "chris.danx" <spamoff.danx@ntlworld.com>
Subject: Ada Technogies suitable for the following
Date: Wed, 02 Oct 2002 00:35:32 +0100
Date: 2002-10-02T00:35:32+01:00	[thread overview]

Hi,

Looking for Ada technologies suitable for a project involving
communication between a client on someones pc and a server somewhere.
The server is responsible for responding to requests which can either be
XML files containing a catalogue of search results, or a media file.  It
is also responsible for user account management, involving the crediting
of user accounts.

The client allows the user to query the XML file for results, and
approving downloads of media files.  The idea is to free up the server
as much as possible.

The idea is that each user should buy a pay an amount of money up front
and be allowed to download media up to the value of credit on their
account.  They may update their credit at any time, allowing them to
download more media.

What technologies could be used for this?  Obviously there is XML/Ada
for the XML element, but what else?  AWS looks like a good bet for the
communication between client and server, although I'm not sure of it's
overall suitability (never done any network programming before and just
downloaded it, so am ignorant of it's capabilities).

I was thinking of GtkAda for the gui component of the client, but am
unsure of the status of the Windows port of GtkAda 2.0.  I will check
this on the gtkada client list.

What are peoples thoughts?  Are there any Ada technologies you think
might be useful?  This is really an exploration of the technologies
available for such a project, there is no real commitment or even intent
to do anything serious with the idea.  If sufficient technologies exist,
I may reconsider, but I am very busy with other things.

Regards,
Chris Campbell
--
for personal replies change 'spamoff' to 'chris'