* profiling tool
@ 1999-06-11  0:00 Thomas Rutström
From: Thomas Rutström @ 1999-06-11  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I need a good profiling tool for Ada, like tprof for C. I am trying to
optimize some Ada programs but it is difficult to find out where to do
these optimizations. Is there anyone who has some knowledge of Ada
optimization?

	thanks in advance / thomas

* Re: profiling tool
@ 1999-06-11  0:00 ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 1999-06-11  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <Pine.GSO.3.95.990611135308.11422B-100000@bilbo.mdh.se>, =?iso-8859-1?Q?Thomas_Rutstr=F6m?= <dte96trm@idt.mdh.se> writes:
> I need a good profiling tool for Ada, like tprof for C. I am trying to
> optimize some Ada programs but it is difficult to find out where to do
> these optimizations. Is there anyone who has some knowledge of Ada
> optimization?

Typically what people mean by "profiling" is an execution-time
monitoring, rather than something based on static analysis of
source.

Therefore you must have a particular compiler and operating system
(or lack thereof) in mind, and that is critical information if you
want to get a helpful answer.

If you were on VMS you could run your program under the Performance
and Coverage Analyzer, but if you were on VMS you probably knew that :-).

Larry Kilgallen

* Re: profiling tool
@ 1999-06-11  0:00 ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1999-06-11  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

wrote:
> I need a good profiling tool for Ada, like tprof for C. I am
trying to
> optimize some Ada programs but it is difficult to find out
where to do
> these optimizations. Is there anyone who has some knowledge of
Ada
> optimization?

This kind of tool question tends to be very vendor specific.
I recommend you consult your Ada vendor and ask for assistance.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/