* Gui development in ADA
@ 1999-06-09  0:00 Jos De Laender
From: Jos De Laender @ 1999-06-09  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Hi,

    I recently studied a C++ class library for building Gui applications
under Windows/Unix and others. In fact it was a quite impressive one
from OO point of view.

    Do you guys know if such an elaborated class library is also
available in Ada ? It should , at least for personal use , be freely
available. Currently it is only for self education purposes.

    Any pointers available ?

    Thanks a lot,

Jos

* Re: Gui development in ADA
@ 1999-06-09  0:00 ` David C. Hoos, Sr.
From: David C. Hoos, Sr. @ 1999-06-09  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jos De Laender <jos.de_laender@alcatel.be> wrote in message

>     Hi,
>
>     I recently studied a C++ class library for building Gui applications
> under Windows/Unix and others. In fact it was a quite impressive one
> from OO point of view.
>
>     Do you guys know if such an elaborated class library is also
> available in Ada ? It should , at least for personal use , be freely
> available. Currently it is only for self education purposes.
>
>     Any pointers available ?

There are several possibilities, ranging from "thin" to "thick" bindings
to the underlying OS services, and GUI libraries.  There may be others,
but try these for starters:

   CLAW (Class Library Ada Windows) free demo but production version not
free.  Very useful for education, though, but specific to Win32.
http://rrsoftware.com/html/prodinf/claw/clawdemo.htm

These others are platform-independent (i.e., there are versions for
UNIX and Win32):

  GTK Ada -- this is a binding to the GTK+ Graphics toolkit.
http://ada.eu.org/gtkada/

  TASH (Tcl Ada SHell), an Ada95 binding to Tcl/tk
http://tash.calspan.com/

  RAPID, the Rapid Ada Portable Interface Design tool.
  Using RAPID, programmers can easily create a graphical user interfaces
  (GUIs) for their applications by simply drawing them.  RAPID then
  generates Ada code using the TASH binding to Tcl/Tk.  Since Tcl/Tk is
  supported on many different platforms (including Windows, Macintosh,
  and UNIX), the generated GUI will also run on all of these platforms.
ftp://ftp.usafa.af.mil/pub/dfcs/carlisle/usafa/rapid/index.html

  Some work done by Leonid Dulman using TASH, RAPID, et. al.
http://ada95.freeservers.com/index.htm

* Re: Gui development in ADA
@ 1999-06-09  0:00 ` dennison
From: dennison @ 1999-06-09  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <375E3D80.E2DFE42A@alcatel.be>,
  Jos De Laender <jos.de_laender@alcatel.be> wrote:
>     I recently studied a C++ class library for building Gui
applications
> under Windows/Unix and others. In fact it was a quite impressive one
> from OO point of view.

Out of curiosity, what is the name of the library?

There are quite a few competing platform-independent GUI systems out
there. There are Ada bindings available for most of them.

--
T.E.D.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

* Re: Gui development in ADA
@ 1999-06-10  0:00   ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 1999-06-10  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Also see:

Windex
http://www.erols.com/leakstan/Stephe/Ada/windex.html

David Botton

David C. Hoos, Sr. wrote in message ...

>Jos De Laender <jos.de_laender@alcatel.be> wrote in message
>>
>>     Hi,
>>
>>     I recently studied a C++ class library for building Gui applications
>> under Windows/Unix and others. In fact it was a quite impressive one
>> from OO point of view.
>>
>>     Do you guys know if such an elaborated class library is also
>> available in Ada ? It should , at least for personal use , be freely
>> available. Currently it is only for self education purposes.
>>
>>     Any pointers available ?

* Re: Gui development in ADA
@ 1999-06-12  0:00   ` Aidan Skinner
From: Aidan Skinner @ 1999-06-12  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 09 Jun 1999 15:10:40 GMT, dennison@telepath.com
<dennison@telepath.com> wrote:

>In article <375E3D80.E2DFE42A@alcatel.be>,
>  Jos De Laender <jos.de_laender@alcatel.be> wrote:
>>     I recently studied a C++ class library for building Gui
>applications
>> under Windows/Unix and others. In fact it was a quite impressive one
>> from OO point of view.
>
>Out of curiosity, what is the name of the library?

Sounds like wxWindows or QT, not sure. wxWindows suppourts Win32, GTK,
Motif and MacOS I believe.

- Aidan
--
http://www.skinner.demon.co.uk/aidan/
Horses for courses, tac-nukes to be sure.