From: Robert Dewar <robert_dewar@my-deja.com>
Subject: Re: Estimating conversion of Ada 83 to Ada 95
Date: 1999/06/08
Date: 1999-06-08T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <7jj9kr$2hr$1@news2.tor.accglobal.net>,
  "Terry J. Westley" <twestley@buffalo.veridian.com> wrote:

> Anyone have any evidence that I'm way off on this estimate?

Based on our extensive experience with people converting from
VADS Ada 83 to Ada 95, I would say that no estimate like this
can be even vaguely complete.

It all depends on the quality of the original code. If people
have been careful to write nicely portable code, your estimate
is way high (and we have seen people do conversions with a
productivity of at least ten times this figure, and even higher
in some cases).

If on the other hand, the programmers have done a lousy job
of writing clean portable code, then it may take arbitrarily
long to do a conversion.

The best thing is to do some sample conversions of small pieces
of the system, to get a feeling for how well the code is
written.

Robert Dewar
Ada Core Technologies

P.S. If you are using GNAT for this conversion, ACT has
extensive experience in helping with such conversions, and
this is one area where our support services can definitely
be very useful.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/