* Private Types???
@ 1999-05-30  0:00 Ern
From: Ern @ 1999-05-30  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have a problem which I am having a hard time solving. I'm a running a
three-file program; a driver and a package body and specification. Formerly
this was combined in one file and worked fine. Now, I've moved all the type
declarations to the specification and made some of them private. One type in
particular is an array of a record type. This is where the problem lies.
When reading data from a file which I know to be correct (this procedure
worked when all code was encompassed in one file) I get a constraint error,
if I run the procedure again, with the same file, I get a use error. What I
can't figure out is why; these types are available to the driver program.

Please, if anyone can help me, please email me directly because I don't
often visit these groups.

                            Thanks, Paul

* Re: Private Types???
@ 1999-05-30  0:00 ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1999-05-30  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <7iqq2s$imd$1@pinah.connect.com.au>,
  "Ern" <davidser@newave.net.au> wrote:
> Please, if anyone can help me, please email me directly
> because I don't often visit these groups.

<<I post this because it is of general interest>>

You will find that people are reluctant to follow such a
direction. Why? Because newsgroups are not intended as a free
source of help, but rather as a cooperative of people helping
one another. A statement like the above labels you as a
taker-only, rather than as a member of the cooperative who
is willing to contribute your expertise in return for others
contributing theirs. Yes, some can contribute more than others,
but opting out up front is not in the spirit of things.

Furthermore, the thread that you start with such a request is
only interesting if others can read and learn from it. That is
why people take the energy to help with people's problems.

So, please, if you are writing Ada programs, join the group.
Use a thread following news reader (such as Deja News) so that
you can quickly skip the threads you are not interested in, and
you will find that keeping up with a low traffic group like
CLA is not a time consuming task.

As for your specific problem, post your code, and I am sure
there will be people who are happy to post followups in this
thread to discuss the problem once your code is posted.

One thing you might do as you post is to reassure people that
you are not asking for people to do your class assignments for
you. As has been discussed many times here, most people are
reluctant to harm students by doing their homework for them!

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

* Re: Private Types???
@ 1999-05-30  0:00 ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1999-05-30  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)