From: ian_gilchrist@my-dejanews.com
Subject: Re: RATIONAL TESTMATE for ADA Testing - Any experiences to share ?
Date: 1999/05/26
Date: 1999-05-26T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <7i99ls$lv$1@ins8.netins.net>,
  "Brian Collins" <bjcollin@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Dave,
>
> I have used the Testmate MCDC tool on many
verification projects involving
> embedded avionics software.  If your code uses
the Rational Ada compiler and
> the workstation you are using it on is both the
host and target environment,
> then everything is very cool and this is a very
slick tool to use.  When you
> deviate from those two rules the tool continues
to operate, but it will take
> a lot more  effort to keep it going.  You can
still keep the test cases in
> Testmate and keep track of your verification
effort, but it becomes much
> less automated.  In our environment we have to
deviate from both rules by
> first using a non-Apex cross-compiler via RCI
and by second having our
> target environment in our actual hardware box
and not on the workstation.
> Breaking the first rule causes us some grief
sometimes with code that simply
> will not instrument, but this is pretty rare
and usually has to do with the
> differences between the cross-compiler's
understanding of Ada and Apex's
> understanding of Ada.  Breaking the second rule
is what hurts us the most by
> not having the test cases automated which takes
the most time to create each
> test case and test by hand all of our decisions
and conditions in our code
> then giving Testmate the results.  If you have
an automated way of runing
> through your test cases with scripts and
collecting coverage, then you will
> really like this tool.  Where can I get
information on the other tools you
> mentioned?  Thank you.

You can find out more about AdaTEST by looking at
the IPL Web page (www.iplbath.com/tools). AdaTEST
operates on both host and target environments and
also provides MC/DC coverage analysis.

Ian Gilchrist