From: "Brian Collins" <bjcollin@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: RATIONAL TESTMATE for ADA Testing - Any experiences to share ?
Date: 1999/05/24
Date: 1999-05-24T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Robert,

Depends on your definition of validation.  In the Avionics wold,
compiler validation isn't such a big issue.  The big issue is
verification, not validation.  According to the FAA in numerous
volumes of references,which I shall not name here for the sake
of the groups sleeping habits, verification is very important.  In
any given piece of equipment in an aircraft, every module and
line of software needs to be verified both functionally and even
structurally.  This has to include all software in a piece of equipment
like a compiler Run-Time System (RTS) and any user written
control software as well.  Having a validated compiler, as I think
you mean the word, is important to say that functionally the compiler
will produce the correct code, but that is only a very minor step.  I am
not familiar with the product you named CSMART, but if it is ever
used in an avionics box then it has been verified both functionally
and structurally.  So in essence you have to have validated products.
All depends on your definition of the terms of course.

Brian Collins
brian.collins@www.mebbs.com
bjcollin@collins.rockwell.com
http://www.math.swt.edu/~rambo