From: Robert Dewar <dewar@gnat.com>
Subject: Re: Gnat on OpenVMS
Date: 1999/05/23
Date: 1999-05-23T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <1999May22.193351.1@eisner>,
  Kilgallen@eisner.decus.org.nospam wrote:

> There may be some economics at work here, as GDB folk are
> accustomed to moving readily between many operating systems so
> long as they are all some form of Unix.

No, they don't need to be some form of Unix, GDB is being
used successfully on many non-Unix operating systems. Indeed
all my own personal work is on OS/2, where GDB works just fine.

I think it is definitely true that people who move between many
targets prefer tools that are uniform across targets. We have
a couple of users of the VMS version who simply have a
requirement to produce a VMS version of their software, but
they also work on many other platforms. People in this position
are of course far happier to use GDB than the VMS debugger,
since they do not want to learn idiosyncratic target dependent
tools for each target.

Actually I see nothing specially unixy about GDBTK (or DDD for
that matter). The whole point of TK or GTK is to provide target
independence for GUI's. There may be things you don't like about
GDBTK, but I doubt they are specifically unix related in any
sense. Equally there may be things you like, but there again,
I doubt there is any real unix involvement.

Robert Dewar
Ada Core Technologies