From: Robert Dewar <robert_dewar@my-dejanews.com>
Subject: Re: LRM on passing data *from* C
Date: 1999/05/22
Date: 1999-05-22T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <7i4d5n$aaf$1@nnrp1.deja.com>,
  dennison@telepath.com wrote:
> All of the implementation advice in LRM B.3 (63-75) refers to
how data
> is passed *to* C. I'm curious if this advice was also meant to
apply to
> how data is passed *from* C when a C function calls an Ada
subprogram.

> I'm in a situation where the a compiler may not have followed
the
> advice. But we are calling Ada from C, so technicly the advice
is not
> applicable...

An Ada program exported with convention C is supposed to have
exactly the same calling sequence as a C program. The RM does
indeed define what this means.

However, this is only advice, so there is no reason to worry
too much about whether it applies or not. The advice is only
that, to be followed if it makes sense, to be ignored if it
does not.

I find it hard to justify a difference here, and would agree
it sounds like a bug, but there could be a reason (I just can't
think of one!)