From: Dennis Lee Bieber <wlfraed@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: In the pipeline.
Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2014 19:06:40 -0400
Date: 2014-09-01T19:06:40-04:00	[thread overview]

On Mon, 1 Sep 2014 10:12:00 -0700 (PDT), gdotone@gmail.com declaimed the
following:

>On Monday, September 1, 2014 12:50:45 PM UTC-4, Simon Clubley wrote:
>
>> I strongly recommend you start new threads in future and not post
>> into an unrelated thread. Among other reasons, your question may
>> never be seen because people might be skipping over a thread.
>
>thanks, i will do next time. the author of the original post was discussing cryptography, and i had just listen to Security Now, with steve gibson, discussing how important it is/was to do certain things, to memory, to make sure the data was not taken from the location where it resided decrypted, in his newest program, written in assembly.

	That situation shouldn't require explicitly referencing ad-hoc memory.
If the data was held in an Ada variable, then you can do whatever you want
with it without having to know where that variable was located. Just make
sure you run a secure erase on the variable. In pseudo-code

myDecryptionBuffer : FixedMemoryBuffer;

for i in myDecryptionBuffer'range loop
	myDecryptionBuffer(i) := someRandom(); -- randomize
end loop;
for i in myDecryptionBuffer'range loop
	myDecryptionBuffer(i) := not myDecryptionBuffer(i); -- bit invert
end loop;
for i in myDecryptionBuffer'range loop
	myDecryptionBuffer(i) := someRandom(); -- different randomize
end loop;

	If you really want to be paranoid, you'll save a copy of the random
pattern, and do a comparison loop after each of the above loops to ensure
the data changed to the pattern that was written.