* ACE functionality in Ada
@ 1999-05-13  0:00 Larry Hazel
From: Larry Hazel @ 1999-05-13  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Does anyone know anything about ACE (Adaptive Communications
Environment)?  There is a web page at
http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/ACE.html.  I've been given the job of
trying to build this on a Solaris system.  Possible use in Army C3I
systems.

I'm hoping someone will post - "Why use ACE when XXX does everything ACE
does and more and it's all Ada."

* Re: ACE functionality in Ada
@ 1999-05-13  0:00 ` dennison
From: dennison @ 1999-05-13  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <7heqc9$bj8$1@nnrp1.deja.com>,
  Larry Hazel <lhazel@mindspring.com> wrote:
> Does anyone know anything about ACE (Adaptive Communications
> Environment)?  There is a web page at
> http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/ACE.html.  I've been given the job of
> trying to build this on a Solaris system.  Possible use in Army C3I
> systems.
>
> I'm hoping someone will post - "Why use ACE when XXX does everything
ACE
> does and more and it's all Ada."

It seems to be a project to develop a set of C++ networking patterns.
The Ada pattern archive at
http://info.acm.org/sigada/wg/patterns/patterns/index.html may have some
of them. Then again, I suspect using an Ada compiler that supports Annex
E (distributed systems) would be an easier solution.

--
T.E.D.

* Re: ACE functionality in Ada
@ 1999-05-13  0:00   ` Larry Hazel
From: Larry Hazel @ 1999-05-13  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <7heuhk$f1m$1@nnrp1.deja.com>,
  dennison@telepath.com wrote:
> In article <7heqc9$bj8$1@nnrp1.deja.com>,
>   Larry Hazel <lhazel@mindspring.com> wrote:
> > Does anyone know anything about ACE (Adaptive Communications
> > Environment)?  There is a web page at
> > http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/ACE.html.  I've been given the job
of
> > trying to build this on a Solaris system.  Possible use in Army C3I
> > systems.
> >
> > I'm hoping someone will post - "Why use ACE when XXX does everything
> ACE
> > does and more and it's all Ada."
>
> It seems to be a project to develop a set of C++ networking patterns.
> The Ada pattern archive at
> http://info.acm.org/sigada/wg/patterns/patterns/index.html may have
some
> of them. Then again, I suspect using an Ada compiler that supports
Annex
> E (distributed systems) would be an easier solution.

The features of the distributed systems annex would be great.  But, I
thought it was defined for a homogeneous network using the same compiler
on all nodes.  If it will work with nodes of different cpu, OS,
compiler, it would solve all our networking problems.

* Re: ACE functionality in Ada
@ 1999-05-15  0:00     ` Bryce Bardin
From: Bryce Bardin @ 1999-05-15  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Larry Hazel wrote:

<snip>

> The features of the distributed systems annex would be great.  But, I
> thought it was defined for a homogeneous network using the same compiler
> on all nodes.  If it will work with nodes of different cpu, OS,
> compiler, it would solve all our networking problems.

The main thing that is required for distributed use in a heterogeneous
network is to make the message format architecturally neutral (and the
same for every node).  One way to achieve that is to use a textual form,
which is what GLADE does.  The compiler must generate the same format
for the messages regardless of the architecture of the target, which
is achieved by using the same compiler (gnat) for each target.

* Re: ACE functionality in Ada
@ 1999-05-16  0:00       ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1999-05-16  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <373D89CE.C09BCDB2@home.com>,
  bbardin@home.com wrote:
> The main thing that is required for distributed use in a
> heterogeneous network is to make the message format
> architecturally neutral (and the same for every node).  One
> way to achieve that is to use a textual form, which is what
> GLADE does.  The compiler must generate the same format
> for the messages regardless of the architecture of the target,
> which is achieved by using the same compiler (gnat) for each
> target.

Several points.

First, yes, the GLADE/GNAT combination fully supports
heterogenous distribution.

No, this feature is not required by the RM. It is fair to say
that the RM was designed primarily with the intention of
supporting homogenous distribution, but in practice we have
found no respect in which the definition inteferes with full
heterogenous distribution. There are some slight difficulties
that appear if multiple highly incompatible versions of
Standard are around (e.g. an Integer in one implementation
may be out of range of an Integer in another implementation),
but by following the (in any case desirable) approach of
avoiding implementation dependent types in Standard, this
problem is eliminated.

As for "using a text format", that's a bit misleading. The only
requirement is that an architecture neutral format be used for
streams. In the case of GNAT/GLADE, for heterogenous
distribution, the format used is XDR (which is an international
standard for architecture neutral representation of internal
computer data).

As for "using the same compiler (gnat) for each target", it is
not at all clear that this is necessary in theory, since it is
quite possible in practice for another compiler to be compatible
with the XDR formats used by GNAT.

Of course in real life, so far, the only implementation that
supports Annex E is GNAT, so using any compiler that supports
Annex E and using GNAT mean the same thing at the moment!

Robert Dewar
Ada Core Technologies