* Catchy name for library
@ 1999-05-11  0:00 Nick Roberts
From: Nick Roberts @ 1999-05-11  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am wracking my paltry brains* for an appropriate identifier to use as a
base package for a hierarchy of library units I am putting together to form
a putative public general-purpose utility library.  Should I go for
something pithy like "CAL" (Common Ada Library), or something more
grandiose, such as "Cornerstone" or "Plinth"?  Suggestions welcome.

Current planned contents for the library: base and generic signature
packages for iterators; (the ubiquitous) quicksort; a non-hashing indexed
array-based store; a (more) memory-efficient balanced binary tree (AVL or
RB?); a mondo humungous GUI etc. hierarchy.  No doubt there will be just
millions of other things suggested/requested.  The whole thing will be
machine/OS-independent and well documented.  Every unit will be divided into
specification and implementations (I'll write the specs first).

-------------------------------------
Nick Roberts
-------------------------------------

[DB: This is destined for AP if you approve.]

*Wetware_Apparatus'(Neurons=>3, Synapses=>19, Pints_of_Ale=>23.0,
Inspiration=>null ;-)

* Re: Catchy name for library
@ 1999-05-11  0:00 ` Marin David Condic
From: Marin David Condic @ 1999-05-11  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nick Roberts wrote:

> I am wracking my paltry brains* for an appropriate identifier to use as a
> base package for a hierarchy of library units I am putting together to form
> a putative public general-purpose utility library.  Should I go for
> something pithy like "CAL" (Common Ada Library), or something more
> grandiose, such as "Cornerstone" or "Plinth"?  Suggestions welcome.

See: http://www.suffix.com/Ada/SCL/ This is a group that is trying to
come up with a "Standard" component library (although not too much
progress has been made yet.) The notion would be to establish at least a
standard interface (Like ASIS) for various things such as data
structures, etc. You may want to look over the ideas posted there and
see if what you are interested in doing fits in to this in some way.

IMHO, if you pick some subset of the proposed component library and come
up with a good implementation, it will likely find acceptance.

Unless you were looking for a commercial venture?

MDC
--
Marin David Condic
Real Time & Embedded Systems, Propulsion Systems Analysis

Visit my web page at: http://www.flipag.net/mcondic

* Re: Catchy name for library
@ 1999-05-12  0:00 ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 1999-05-12  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Nick Roberts" <nickroberts@callnetuk.com> writes:

> I am wracking my paltry brains* for an appropriate identifier to use as a
> base package for a hierarchy of library units I am putting together to form
> a putative public general-purpose utility library.  Should I go for
> something pithy like "CAL" (Common Ada Library), or something more
> grandiose, such as "Cornerstone" or "Plinth"?  Suggestions welcome.

I have one brewing too. I chose SAL, which means (depending on the
phase of the moon):

Stephe's Ada Library
Standard Ada Library
Spiffy Ada Library

SAL is also my initials.

Go with an acronym that has at least one reasonable meaning related to
you, and let everybody else guess :). But make sure it is different
than everyone else's base library name! I guess www.adapower.com has
the most comprehensive of libraries.

-- Stephe

* Re: Catchy name for library
@ 1999-05-12  0:00 ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1999-05-12  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <37383ab5@eeyore.callnetuk.com>,
  "Nick Roberts" <nickroberts@callnetuk.com> wrote:
> I am wracking my paltry brains* for an appropriate identifier
> to use as a base package for a hierarchy of library units

How about acorn or salmonella

sorry -- coulnd't resist, being reminded of searching for a
name first :-)

* Leake
@ 1999-05-12  0:00   ` dennison
From: dennison @ 1999-05-12  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <u1zgmqcej.fsf@gsfc.nasa.gov>,
  Stephen Leake <Stephen.Leake@gsfc.nasa.gov> wrote:
> "Nick Roberts" <nickroberts@callnetuk.com> writes:
>
> > I am wracking my paltry brains* for an appropriate identifier to use
as a
> > base package for a hierarchy of library units I am putting together
to form
> > a putative public general-purpose utility library.  Should I go for
> > something pithy like "CAL" (Common Ada Library), or something more
> > grandiose, such as "Cornerstone" or "Plinth"?  Suggestions welcome.
>
> I have one brewing too. I chose SAL, which means (depending on the
> phase of the moon):
>
> Stephe's Ada Library

I suppose you decided that "Leake Ada Library" would not invoke a
positive mental image. :-)

--
T.E.D.

* Re: Catchy name for library
@ 1999-05-13  0:00   ` Aidan Skinner
From: Aidan Skinner @ 1999-05-13  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 11 May 1999 11:14:30 -0400, Marin David Condic
<condicma@bogon.pwfl.com> wrote:

>IMHO, if you pick some subset of the proposed component library and come
>up with a good implementation, it will likely find acceptance.

On a related note, what are peoples opinion of the naming of the
nntp/smtp packages in libra? They are currently under
Libra.ARPA.[NNTP|SMTP], as they both pass ARPA messages from RFC 822,
but it has been suggested that it isn't entirely clear to people who are
relatively new to internet programming what ARPA is.

- Aidan
--
http://www.skinner.demon.co.uk
Real men whistle ed commands at 300 baud into a can.