From: Robert Dewar <robert_dewar@my-dejanews.com>
Subject: Re: Ada firsts
Date: 1999/05/10
Date: 1999-05-10T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <373625B2.719AE8C0@globalnet.co.uk>,
  J & A Richardson <jrichard@globalnet.co.uk> wrote:
> My instructor said that Ada has 3 firsts.
>
> It was the first language to be standardized.
>
> She could not remember the other two firsts.
>
> Does anyone know what they are??

Well let's start with the first point. It most certainly was
NOT the first language to be standardized. Probably the
confusion here is that it was the first object oriented
language to be standardized.

Other possible firsts:

First language to have an official validation suite, keyed
closely to the standard.

First standard language to have full concurrency facilities.

First language to be standardized by the canvass method instead
of by an x3 committee

First language for which a formal design process included the
publication of requirements documents.

First language to have a simultaneous (identical) Military
and ANSI standard.

All of these are a little bit discussable :-)

I may well have missed other ones ...