* An ada compiler for RTX ...
@ 1999-05-07  0:00 sevestre
From: sevestre @ 1999-05-07  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I would like to know if there is an ada compiler for the NT real-time
layer RTX from VenturCom.

Thank you in advance.

Matthieu SEVESTRE - FRANCE

* Re: An ada compiler for RTX ...
@ 1999-05-07  0:00 ` dennison
From: dennison @ 1999-05-07  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <7guj56$vu8$1@nnrp1.deja.com>,
  sevestre@my-dejanews.com wrote:
> I would like to know if there is an ada compiler for the NT real-time
> layer RTX from VenturCom.

Unless something has changed since the last time that was asked a couple of
months ago, the answer is no.

By my count this is the third time in 5 months someone has asked that here. I
wonder how many times this has to get asked before vendors start feeling silly
when they respond that there's no demand for it...

The commercial side of the house here has a big investment in RTX, so this
became a major issue. We were within a hair's-breadth of finiancing a
conversion. The fact that our miliary customer required validation was
probably the final straw against it. But the commercial side of the house is
way more married to RTX than it is to any new language. They have a lot of
legacy Fortran code, so they did finance a Fortran compiler conversion. But
Fortran's runtime is much simpler than Ada's and they have verry little
legacy Ada code. So guess where that leaves Ada?

--
T.E.D.

* Re: An ada compiler for RTX ...
@ 1999-05-08  0:00   ` dewar
From: dewar @ 1999-05-08  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <7gv8hs$jun$1@nnrp1.deja.com>,
  dennison@telepath.com wrote:
> In article <7guj56$vu8$1@nnrp1.deja.com>,
>   sevestre@my-dejanews.com wrote:
> > I would like to know if there is an ada compiler for the NT real-time
> > layer RTX from VenturCom.
>
> Unless something has changed since the last time that was asked a couple of
> months ago, the answer is no.
>
> By my count this is the third time in 5 months someone has asked that here. I
> wonder how many times this has to get asked before vendors start feeling silly
> when they respond that there's no demand for it...

There is a big difference between people asking about something, and actual
commercial demand. I think every vendor has the experience of people jumping
up and down saying how important a particular port is, and how there is lots
of demand. They then do it, and find there is zero demand.

For Alsys, the Mac port was such an example. For ACT, we found lots of
interest but no commercial demand in the DOS and Mac ports which is why we
dropped them. So far we have not been able to detect any serious commercial
demand for RTX and Ted's message does not change this. Indeed as far as I
know, Ted Dennison, though an enthusiastic user of the public version of
GNAT, has no commercial interest in any versions of GNAT.

If I am wrong here, and someone *is* seriously interested in an RTX version
of GNAT, then please contact sales@gnat.com for further discussions.
Similarly contact other vendors directly if you have a commercial interest in
this port. I would guess that any vendor of an NT port could adapt it to RSX
without great difficulty.

The other alternative, if you really think this port is important, is do it
yourself, it should not be that difficult!

In the case of GNAT, I know people
get frustrated that ACT does not support every conceivable target with freely
available public compilers, but that's beyond our resources. As you know, we
have a pretty large set of ports that we do support, but we cannot support
everything.

However, with GNAT, there is another alternative, and that is to do the port
yourself. Quite a few interesting non-commercial ports of GNAT have appeared
in this manner, including the DOS port (not at all an easy one), the BSD port,
the Amiga port, and others.

Robert Dewar
Ada Core Technology