From: Robert Dewar <robert_dewar@my-dejanews.com>
Subject: Re: How to build gnat on top of egcs-1.1.2, please?
Date: 1999/05/07
Date: 1999-05-07T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <37325C20.6E63F83D@here.org>,
  Gary Gourley <not@here.org> wrote:
> Oh, really? Are there any GNU testsuites for GNAT? Just like
> the dejagnu testsuites for C, C++ and fortran? So we can
> test it objectively.

There is of course the ACVC suite, which is quite comprehensive.
But from our point of view the critical test suites are the ACT
internal regression suite (5500 directories of test cases with
many millions of lines of code), and the DEC test suite. Both
these suites contain highly proprietary customer code, and
cannot be released publicly.

> > Unfortunately, too many users seem to be more interested in
> > "getting the very latest thing" than in getting a really robust and
> > well-tested product.
>
> haha, you are quite right but I guess I am not.

Probably a good thing, but see below

> > Finally -- Why build it yourself?  Why not just use one of the
> > several binary GNAT distributions for Linux?
>
> I wanna build it myself with egcs because I have applied the
> Pentium processor optimization patch from Pentium Compiler
> Group (www.goof.com/pcg) to egcs-1.1.2. The resulting binary
> run faster on my 200MMx. For example, bzip2 built with
> pgcc-1.1.2 (egcs + the Pentium patch) do compression much
> much faster than egcs not to mention gcc-2.8. Here is the
> result of a small test on the time egcs-generated bzip2 and
> patched-egcs-generated bzip2 spent in compressing the linux
> kernel-2.2.3 on a Intel 200MMX.

Now you seem to be back in the mode of wanting the latest and
greatest even if it is not tested fully. Personally my reaction
to a 5% gain in speed for one program is that this is not
interesting enough to jump the gun and try to put together
software components that have not been designed to work with
one another and have not been tested.

But by all means go ahead, and definitely let others know your
experience. The pioneers can always help those who follow later :-)