* Salary Survey Information For Embedded, Realtime Programmers
@ 1999-05-04  0:00 Marin David Condic
From: Marin David Condic @ 1999-05-04  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I hope someone out here can give me a hand finding some salary survey
data. We need to find an up to date survey which shows salary ranges for
embedded system software engineers. Data that included a breakdown by
regions of the country and possibly by programming language would be
very helpful. If you know of such a survey and can point me at a URL or
some other resource, I would greatly appreciate it. Please e-mail me
directly at condicma <atsign> pwfl <dot> com

TIA

MDC
--
Marin David Condic
Real Time & Embedded Systems, Propulsion Systems Analysis

Visit my web page at: http://www.flipag.net/mcondic

* Re: Salary Survey Information For Embedded, Realtime Programmers
@ 1999-05-04  0:00 ` Michael Barr
From: Michael Barr @ 1999-05-04  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Marin David Condic wrote:

> I hope someone out here can give me a hand finding some salary survey
> data. We need to find an up to date survey which shows salary ranges for
> embedded system software engineers. Data that included a breakdown by
> regions of the country and possibly by programming language would be
> very helpful. If you know of such a survey and can point me at a URL or
> some other resource, I would greatly appreciate it. Please e-mail me
> directly at condicma <atsign> pwfl <dot> com

EETimes (http://www.eetimes.com) annually compiles such data.  They
do a breakdown by job classification (which gives info about embedded
software engineers), but the rest of their breakdowns (by region, age,
years of experience, etc.) are across all job classifications.  So you
get the hardware designers and non-embedded programmers included there.

Hope this helps.  It's certainly better than nothing.

Cheers,
        Michael Barr

From: Marin David Condic @ 1999-05-04  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Michael Barr wrote:
> EETimes (http://www.eetimes.com) annually compiles such data.  They
> do a breakdown by job classification (which gives info about embedded
> software engineers), but the rest of their breakdowns (by region, age,
> years of experience, etc.) are across all job classifications.  So you
> get the hardware designers and non-embedded programmers included there.

Thanks. We've looked over the EETimes survey before. It lacks some of
the granularity we'd like. But it is, as you say, better than nothing.
The problem we have is wanting to filter out the hardware design
positions, etc. and look at just software. Everybody says "Software is
booming" but its hard to tell from such lumped together data.

MDC
--

@ 1999-05-05  0:00 ` John Birch
From: John Birch @ 1999-05-05  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 04 May 1999 11:18:38 -0400, Marin David Condic
<condicma@bogon.pwfl.com> wrote:

>I hope someone out here can give me a hand finding some salary survey
>data. We need to find an up to date survey which shows salary ranges for
>embedded system software engineers. Data that included a breakdown by
>regions of the country and possibly by programming language would be
>very helpful. If you know of such a survey and can point me at a URL or
>some other resource, I would greatly appreciate it. Please e-mail me
>directly at condicma <atsign> pwfl <dot> com

Try contacting .EXE magazine. They have an annual SW engineering
salary review.

regards John B.

* Re: Salary Survey Information For Embedded, Realtime Programmers
@ 1999-05-05  0:00   ` Donald Gillies
From: Donald Gillies @ 1999-05-05  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

johnb@invision.co.uk (John Birch) writes:

>On Tue, 04 May 1999 11:18:38 -0400, Marin David Condic
><condicma@bogon.pwfl.com> wrote:

>>I hope someone out here can give me a hand finding some salary survey
>>data. We need to find an up to date survey which shows salary ranges for
>>embedded system software engineers. Data that included a breakdown by
>>regions of the country and possibly by programming language would be
>>very helpful.

try:
	http://www.realrates.com

janet ruehl's "Real Rate Survey" of contract/consultant salaries, and
full-time salaries, for engineers.

- Don

* Re: Salary Survey Information For Embedded, Realtime Programmers
@ 1999-05-05  0:00 Head, David
From: Head, David @ 1999-05-05  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Don't forget to take into account WHERE your respondants live when they post
the large salaries.  1 Indiana dollar /= 1 NYC dollar!  For an idea of this,
go to http://www2.homefair.com/calc/salcalc.html and pick a couple cities
and see the difference.

Dave Head

@ 1999-05-07  0:00 ` Marin David Condic
From: Marin David Condic @ 1999-05-07  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Head, David wrote:

> Don't forget to take into account WHERE your respondants live when they post
> the large salaries.  1 Indiana dollar /= 1 NYC dollar!  For an idea of this,
> go to http://www2.homefair.com/calc/salcalc.html and pick a couple cities
> and see the difference.

I don't trust this calculator. I punched in a couple of cities with
which I am familiar and came up with entirely counterintuitive results.
I know that the cost of housing alone doubles yet the calculator shows a
pay cut is justified. I'd be curious to see what sort of criteria they
base their calculations on.

MDC
--

@ 1999-05-07  0:00   ` Stanley R. Allen
From: Stanley R. Allen @ 1999-05-07  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Marin David Condic wrote:

> Head, David wrote:
> >
> > Don't forget to take into account WHERE your respondants live when they post
> > the large salaries.  1 Indiana dollar /= 1 NYC dollar!  For an idea of this,
> > go to http://www2.homefair.com/calc/salcalc.html and pick a couple cities
> > and see the difference.
> >
> I don't trust this calculator. I punched in a couple of cities with
> which I am familiar and came up with entirely counterintuitive results.
> I know that the cost of housing alone doubles yet the calculator shows a
> pay cut is justified. I'd be curious to see what sort of criteria they
> base their calculations on.

Try this one:

http://verticals.yahoo.com/cities/salary.html

This does not provide details, but may provide different results.
After you put in your comparison information, it gives you a link
to www.virtualrelocation.com, which I think has more detail.

--
Stanley Allen
mailto:s_allen@hso.link.com

* Re: Salary Survey Information For Embedded, Realtime Programmers
@ 1999-05-07  0:00   ` dennison
From: dennison @ 1999-05-07  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <3732EE19.354D575A@pwfl.com>,
  diespammer@pwfl.com wrote:
> Head, David wrote:
> >
> > Don't forget to take into account WHERE your respondants live when they post
> > the large salaries.  1 Indiana dollar /= 1 NYC dollar!  For an idea of this,
> > go to http://www2.homefair.com/calc/salcalc.html and pick a couple cities
> > and see the difference.
> >
> I don't trust this calculator. I punched in a couple of cities with
> which I am familiar and came up with entirely counterintuitive results.
> I know that the cost of housing alone doubles yet the calculator shows a
> pay cut is justified. I'd be curious to see what sort of criteria they
> base their calculations on.

There is a FAQ page on their site that goes into that. As I remember it is
highly dependent on housing prices and real-estate taxes. State and local
income taxes are *not* taken into account, but the rates are listed.

--
T.E.D.

* Re: Salary Survey Information For Embedded, Realtime Programmers
@ 1999-05-10  0:00     ` Marin David Condic
From: Marin David Condic @ 1999-05-10  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stanley R. Allen wrote:

> Try this one:
>
> http://verticals.yahoo.com/cities/salary.html

Thanks. This one came up with numbers that are more believable & pasxs
my "sanity check."

MDC

From: Marin David Condic @ 1999-05-10  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

dennison@telepath.com wrote:
> There is a FAQ page on their site that goes into that. As I remember it is
> highly dependent on housing prices and real-estate taxes. State and local
> income taxes are *not* taken into account, but the rates are listed.

Well, that seems to be as useful as the proverbial screen-door on a
submarine. Taxes in an area are most certainly a part of the cost of
living. Here in Florida, we have no state income tax, but we do have
sales tax (equivalent to many other states) and we tax the hell out of
things which are most frequently consumed by tourists - not residents.
Whereas other states will have a similar sales tax, along with income
tax, property tax (which gets bigger if housing costs go up!) tax on
cars, boats or other significant personal property, etc. etc. All that
has to be paid if you live in a state, just like the cost of gasoline or
groceries, so it doesn't seem fair to ignore it.

One of the problems we have with salaries is this cost of living
differential between states. This is especially difficult for a company
like UTC which spans states yet has payroll policies established
uniformly by "headquarters".

MDC