* Robert Dewar: What is the SGI bindings generator?
@ 1999-04-13  0:00 Harry Tanovich
From: Harry Tanovich @ 1999-04-13  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

You referred to it in a message posted Sunday.

* Re: Robert Dewar: What is the SGI bindings generator?
@ 1999-04-13  0:00 ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1999-04-13  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <7evh5r$ogk$2@news-1.news.gte.net>,
  Harry Tanovich <harryt@gte.net> wrote:

It is a program written by SGI to automatically generate
bindings for C and C++ headers for use by GNAT (although
there is nothing very GNAT specific about it, standard
Ada is generated).

It is used by SGI to generate the many thousands of lines
of bindings that they supply with their GNAT-based Ada
development environment.

It is not currently available outside SGI. It is for
internal SGI use only, but if you have the SGI product,
you can at least see the quality of what it generates,
which is impressive.

Robert Dewar
Ada Core Technologies

* Re: Robert Dewar: What is the SGI bindings generator?
@ 1999-05-01  0:00   ` Pascal F. Martin
From: Pascal F. Martin @ 1999-05-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <7evurf$aj4$1@nnrp1.dejanews.com>,
	Robert Dewar <dewar@gnat.com> writes:
> In article <7evh5r$ogk$2@news-1.news.gte.net>,
>   Harry Tanovich <harryt@gte.net> wrote:
>
> It is not currently available outside SGI. It is for
> internal SGI use only, but if you have the SGI product,
> you can at least see the quality of what it generates,
> which is impressive.

So, you propose to use a tool that is _not_ available ?

Sounds like the usual Ada story: "we do wonderful stuff
with Ada but, of course, we cannot talk about it.."

--

Pascal F. Martin.

* Re: Robert Dewar: What is the SGI bindings generator?
@ 1999-05-03  0:00     ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1999-05-03  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <_jJW2.702$2j3.2340@clnws01.we.mediaone.net>,
  pmartin@nospam (Pascal F. Martin) wrote:
> So, you propose to use a tool that is _not_ available ?

No, actually we propose to work on making it available.

> Sounds like the usual Ada story: "we do wonderful stuff
> with Ada but, of course, we cannot talk about it.."

The story here is simply that SGI has not had the resources to
productize this tool. ACT is hoping to be able to take over this
work, and make this tool available some time in the future. A
significant amount of work is required, because the current version
is based on a proprietary C++ front end which cannot be distributed.
So the first task is to integrate the tool with g++

Robert Dewar
Ada Core Technologies

* Re: Robert Dewar: What is the SGI bindings generator?
@ 1999-05-06  0:00       ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 1999-05-06  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert Dewar <dewar@gnat.com> writes:

> In article <_jJW2.702$2j3.2340@clnws01.we.mediaone.net>,
>   pmartin@nospam (Pascal F. Martin) wrote:
> > So, you propose to use a tool that is _not_ available ?
>
> No, actually we propose to work on making it available.
>
> > Sounds like the usual Ada story: "we do wonderful stuff
> > with Ada but, of course, we cannot talk about it.."
>
> The story here is simply that SGI has not had the resources to
> productize this tool. ACT is hoping to be able to take over this
> work, and make this tool available some time in the future. A
> significant amount of work is required, because the current version
> is based on a proprietary C++ front end which cannot be distributed.
> So the first task is to integrate the tool with g++

Here's a vote from a potential customer for doing the work. There are
several people here writing C++ code using g++, and I'd like to be
able to gradually wean them to Ada. Having a binding generator so I
can easily integrate new Ada code with the current C++, using all the
current functionality, would be great. That would make it easier for
me to get funding for ACT support.

-- Stephen Leake, NASA Goddard Space Flight Center