* Re: GtkAda
@ 1999-04-29  0:00   ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 1999-04-29  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

The exact link to the GtkAda example on the treasury is :

http://www.botton.com/ada/os/gtk_example.html

David Botton

rajagopalasrinivasan@my-dejanews.com wrote:

> In article <37287304.782C@fil.univ-lille1.fr>,
>   Delambre <delambre@fil.univ-lille1.fr> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> >       I'm searching a documentation and examples about GtkAda 0.2.1.
> >
> >               Thanks.
> >
> I dont know about documentation but for a reasonable size example you might go
> to http://www.botton.com (the example which I happened to contribute)

* GtkAda
@ 1999-04-29  0:00 Delambre
From: Delambre @ 1999-04-29  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1999-04-29  0:00 ` rajagopalasrinivasan
From: rajagopalasrinivasan @ 1999-04-29  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1999-04-29  0:00 ` David C. Hoos, Sr.
From: David C. Hoos, Sr. @ 1999-04-29  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Delambre wrote in message <37287304.782C@fil.univ-lille1.fr>...
>Hi,
>
> I'm searching a documentation and examples about GtkAda 0.2.1.

Have you contacted the authors?
Author: Emmanuel Briot <briot@gnat.com>
Joel Brobecker <jbrobecker@west.raytheon.com>
Arnaud Charlet <charlet@gnat.com>

* Re: GtkAda
@ 1999-05-12  0:00   ` charlet
From: charlet @ 1999-05-12  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I'm searching a documentation and examples about GtkAda 0.2.1.

We've started the documentation with GtkAda 0.6
The current version of GtkAda is 1.2.1 and contains many improvements
and documentation. I would strongly suggest to switch to this version
unless you have very good reasons to stay with an old beta version of
GtkAda.

Visit our web site to get the 1.2.1 version:
http://ada.eu.org/gtkada/

Arno

* Gtkada
@ 2001-01-11  0:52 chris woodrow
From: chris woodrow @ 2001-01-11  0:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

I need to find a good book about gtkada, does anyone knows???????????
Or else where can i find some docs on the web?
Thanx

* Re: Gtkada
@ 2001-01-11 10:13 ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2001-01-11 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 11 Jan 2001 00:52:35 GMT, chris woodrow wrote:
>I need to find a good book about gtkada, does anyone knows???????????

No book (yet)

>Or else where can i find some docs on the web?

But go here: http://gtkada.eu.org/ or to the US mirror at
http://www.adapower.com/gtkada/

other sites (explaining how to use GTK+ to program in C) :

http://developer.gnome.org/doc/GGAD/
http://www.gtk.org

I recommend you look at them too.

--
Preben Randhol ---------------- http://www.pvv.org/~randhol/ --
iMy favorite editor is Emacs!<ESC>bcwVim<ESC>

* gtkada
@ 2002-09-16 12:41 Sami Evangelista
From: Sami Evangelista @ 2002-09-16 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

good morning everybody

i am going to develop an application with a graphic interface lying on
gtkada which i don't know at all.
Does anybody know where i could find a tutorial or a reference manual
about gtkada?

thanks for any help.

sami evangelista

sami.evangelista@wanadoo.fr

* Re: gtkada
@ 2002-09-16 13:03 ` David C. Hoos
From: David C. Hoos @ 2002-09-16 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

http://libre.act-europe.fr/GtkAda/GtkAda-tutorial/GtkAda-tutorial.htm
http://libre.act-europe.fr/GtkAda/docs/gtkada_ug.html
http://libre.act-europe.fr/GtkAda/docs/gtkada_rm_toc.html

@ 2002-09-16 13:05 ` SIMON Claude
From: SIMON Claude @ 2002-09-16 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sami Evangelista wrote:

> good morning everybody
>
> i am going to develop an application with a graphic interface lying on
> gtkada which i don't know at all.
> Does anybody know where i could find a tutorial or a reference manual
> about gtkada?
>
> thanks for any help.
>
> sami evangelista
>
> sami.evangelista@wanadoo.fr

See : http://libre.act-europe.fr/GtkAda/

* Re: gtkada
@ 2002-09-16 13:09 ` Adrian Knoth
From: Adrian Knoth @ 2002-09-16 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sami Evangelista <evangeli@cnam.fr> wrote:

> Does anybody know where i could find a tutorial or a reference manual
> about gtkada?

There is a reference-manual for GtkAda which comes along with the library
itself.

You might also want to have a closer look at glide, a GUI-builder for
Gtk (and even GtkAda), those giving you much help in developing GUIs.

There are some examples for GtkAda in the exampels-directory.

After all, using GtkAda is really nice and straight-forward. You can even
learn it by reading the include-files (in most cases, *.ads is sufficient,
they are well-documented and because of strict typing the API is eay to
understand for programmers)

--
mail: adi@thur.de  	http://adi.thur.de	PGP: v2-key via keyserver

Kann ich weiter ruhig schlafen oder lieber sofort ein profilaktisches
Format c:\   ??? (Marc Bromberger in de.comp.security nach FireWall-Alarm)

* Re: gtkada
@ 2002-09-16 14:09   ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2002-09-16 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 16 Sep 2002 13:09:25 GMT, Adrian Knoth wrote:

> You might also want to have a closer look at glide, a GUI-builder for
                                               ^^^^^
                                               glade
                                               or is there a new app
                                               around?
> Gtk (and even GtkAda), those giving you much help in developing GUIs.

Besure to understand the way you pack widgets in Gtk+/GtkAda. One do not
use fixed posistions as f.ex Delphi does.

Preben

* Re: gtkada
@ 2002-09-16 15:09     ` Adrian Knoth
From: Adrian Knoth @ 2002-09-16 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Preben Randhol <randhol+news@pvv.org> wrote:

>> You might also want to have a closer look at glide, a GUI-builder for
                                                ^^^^^
>                                                glade

Sure, glade. Sorry, my fault.

> or is there a new app around?

No, I was dealing around with OpenGL/Mesa/Glut and Glide the whole day,
so I mixed things up.

>> Gtk (and even GtkAda), those giving you much help in developing GUIs.
> Besure to understand the way you pack widgets in Gtk+/GtkAda. One do not
> use fixed posistions as f.ex Delphi does.

Yes. I'd like to put emphases on this. Having those unfixed widgets give
you much freedom in resizing the window. On the other side you'll have
to use paddings if you want some space between objects.

--
mail: adi@thur.de  	http://adi.thur.de	PGP: v2-key via keyserver

Mathematik ohne Axiome ist nicht mehr als hei�e Luft. (Matthias Heidbrink)
Auch mit Axiomen ist Mathematik nicht mehr als hei�e Luft. (Florian Weimer)

* Re: gtkada
@ 2002-09-16 15:41       ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2002-09-16 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 16 Sep 2002 15:09:33 GMT, Adrian Knoth wrote:

> Yes. I'd like to put emphases on this. Having those unfixed widgets give
> you much freedom in resizing the window. On the other side you'll have
> to use paddings if you want some space between objects.

Yes, but you also have border width.

Preben

* Re: gtkada
@ 2002-09-16 16:05         ` Adrian Knoth
From: Adrian Knoth @ 2002-09-16 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Preben Randhol <randhol+news@pvv.org> wrote:

>> Yes. I'd like to put emphases on this. Having those unfixed widgets give
>> you much freedom in resizing the window. On the other side you'll have
>> to use paddings if you want some space between objects.
> Yes, but you also have border width.

I'm struggling with a scrolled_window and a Clist inside. I would like to
have a size not smaller than 80 pixels. I guess it's not really possible
except to make the parent-window that large (by default) so there are
still 80 pixels left for the scrolled_window.

Now it's much smaller because other stuff in the window takes so much
space. It would be nice to say: Set_Size_At_Least(scrollwindow1, 80);

--
mail: adi@thur.de  	http://adi.thur.de	PGP: v2-key via keyserver

Alle PCs sind kompatibel. Nur sind manche kompatibler als andere

* Re: gtkada
@ 2002-09-16 17:52           ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2002-09-16 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 16 Sep 2002 16:05:39 GMT, Adrian Knoth wrote:
> I'm struggling with a scrolled_window and a Clist inside. I would like to
> have a size not smaller than 80 pixels. I guess it's not really possible
> except to make the parent-window that large (by default) so there are
> still 80 pixels left for the scrolled_window.

Why do you put a Clist inside a scrollwindow?

Preben

* Re: gtkada
@ 2002-09-16 18:09           ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2002-09-16 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Adrian Knoth <adi@drcomp.erfurt.thur.de> writes:

> Preben Randhol <randhol+news@pvv.org> wrote:
>
> >> Yes. I'd like to put emphases on this. Having those unfixed widgets give
> >> you much freedom in resizing the window. On the other side you'll have
> >> to use paddings if you want some space between objects.
> > Yes, but you also have border width.
>
> I'm struggling with a scrolled_window and a Clist inside. I would like to
> have a size not smaller than 80 pixels. I guess it's not really possible
> except to make the parent-window that large (by default) so there are
> still 80 pixels left for the scrolled_window.

This is getting a little off-topic, but I'm doing similar things. I
assume you are using GtkAda (not some other language binding :).

I also have a Clist inside a Scrolled_Window (so I can scroll the list
when it is too big). I did nothing to specify a minimum size; it seems
to request enough to show one line.

You should talk in terms of lines (of information), not pixels. The
user may change their default font to something much larger, in which
case your pixel size will be wrong.

Do you want the minimum size to be more than one line?

> Now it's much smaller because other stuff in the window takes so
> much space. It would be nice to say:
> Set_Size_At_Least(scrollwindow1, 80);

If the number was lines of information, I agree that would be useful.
There may be a way to do this with Gtk; I'm still new.

--
-- Stephe

* Re: gtkada
@ 2002-09-16 18:12             ` Adrian Knoth
From: Adrian Knoth @ 2002-09-16 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Preben Randhol <randhol+news@pvv.org> wrote:

>> I'm struggling with a scrolled_window and a Clist inside. I would like to
>> have a size not smaller than 80 pixels. I guess it's not really possible
>> except to make the parent-window that large (by default) so there are
>> still 80 pixels left for the scrolled_window.
> Why do you put a Clist inside a scrollwindow?

I want to scroll the list. Is this wrong? gtk-clist.ads says:

--  You can add scrolling in a Gtk_Clist by adding it in a Gtk_Scrolled_Window.

--
mail: adi@thur.de  	http://adi.thur.de	PGP: v2-key via keyserver

Wer anderen eine Bratwurst br�t der hat ein Bratwurstbratger�t
						(Holger Imig in dtj)

* Re: gtkada
@ 2002-09-16 19:08               ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2002-09-16 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 16 Sep 2002 18:12:34 GMT, Adrian Knoth wrote:
> I want to scroll the list. Is this wrong? gtk-clist.ads says:
>
> --  You can add scrolling in a Gtk_Clist by adding it in a Gtk_Scrolled_Window.

No sorry I got a bit confused. I thought you had added a scrolledwindow
in glade and then added a clist into it. This is wrong because glade
will add the scrolledwindow for you automatically when you choose and
add a clist.

But I guess you don't have two scrolledwindows :-)

Preben

* Re: gtkada
@ 2002-09-16 20:14             ` Adrian Knoth
From: Adrian Knoth @ 2002-09-16 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stephen Leake <stephen.a.leake.1@gsfc.nasa.gov> wrote:

> This is getting a little off-topic, but I'm doing similar things. I
> assume you are using GtkAda (not some other language binding :).

Sure :)

> I also have a Clist inside a Scrolled_Window (so I can scroll the list
> when it is too big). I did nothing to specify a minimum size; it seems
> to request enough to show one line.

Yes. And that's the problem. One line is not enough. It's a list, not
a row :)

I agree that specifying the number of lines would be a nice way.

--
mail: adi@thur.de  	http://adi.thur.de	PGP: v2-key via keyserver

Was Vacuum ist? - Ich habs im Kopf, aber ich kriegs nicht raus...

* Re: gtkada
@ 2002-09-17 15:03                 ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2002-09-17 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Preben Randhol <randhol+news@pvv.org> writes:

> ... glade will add the scrolledwindow for you automatically when you
> choose and add a clist.

Hmm. I would view this as a bad idea, unless Glade says clearly "Would
you like a Scrolled_Window for that", and I get to say "no". There
_are_ times when I _don't_ want scrolling. For example, if I want to
be sure the entire list is immediately visible (yes, it is then my job
to be sure it is small enough for the available window space).

> But I guess you don't have two scrolledwindows :-)

And since I'm familiar with building Gtk GUIs without Glade, I would
probably end up with two Scrolled_Windows every time :).

--
-- Stephe

* Re: gtkada
@ 2002-09-17 17:31                   ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2002-09-17 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 17 Sep 2002 11:03:14 -0400, Stephen Leake wrote:
> Hmm. I would view this as a bad idea, unless Glade says clearly "Would
> you like a Scrolled_Window for that", and I get to say "no". There
> _are_ times when I _don't_ want scrolling. For example, if I want to
> be sure the entire list is immediately visible (yes, it is then my job
> to be sure it is small enough for the available window space).

Then you set the V Policy to Never. I think it is better that
scrolled_window gets added automatically in all the cases it is
necessary as in 90% of the cases you need scrolling and in the rest you
can either set V Policy to Never (and H policy) or remove it with
cut'n'paste. :-)

> And since I'm familiar with building Gtk GUIs without Glade, I would
> probably end up with two Scrolled_Windows every time :).

The Widget-tree window is nice to see the structure :-)

Preben

* gtkada
@ 2002-09-19 17:43 Sami Evangelista
From: Sami Evangelista @ 2002-09-19 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

hello

is it possible to set a filter in gtk.gtk_file_selection window.
i have only want to display *.adb files

thanks

* Re: gtkada
@ 2002-09-19 19:32 ` Adrian Knoth
From: Adrian Knoth @ 2002-09-19 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sami Evangelista <sami.evangelista@wanadoo.fr> wrote:

> hello

Hi!

Do you know about the GtkAda-Mailinglist?

> is it possible to set a filter in gtk.gtk_file_selection window.
> i have only want to display *.adb files

   procedure Complete
     (File_Selection : access Gtk_File_Selection_Record;
      Pattern        : String);
   --  Set the filter used to display the files.
   --  The pattern is displayed in the entry at the bottom of the dialog, and
   --  the list of files displayed in the list.

--

@ 2002-09-20 10:30 Sami Evangelista
From: Sami Evangelista @ 2002-09-20 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

hello
is it possible to connect a handler to a drawing_area when the user
click on this drawing area. I have tried to connect my handler to the
"button_press" signal of the Gtk_Drawing_Area like this :

Widget_Cb.Connect(Gtk_Widget(Current_Da), "button_press",
Widget_Cb.To_Marshaller(On_Sub_Net_Button_Press'Access));

it compiles well but at the execution the follwing error occurs :

Gtk-WARNING **: gtk_signal_connect_full(): could not find signal
"button_press" in the `GtkDrawingArea' class ancestry

thanks for any help

Sami Evangelista

* Re: gtkada
@ 2002-09-20 12:19 ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2002-09-20 12:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sami Evangelista <sami.evangelista@wanadoo.fr> writes:

> hello
> is it possible to connect a handler to a drawing_area when the user
> click on this drawing area.

You'll get better help on GtkAda from the GtkAda mailing list. See
http://libre.act-europe.fr/GtkAda/
(way down near the bottom) for instructions on subscribing.

> I have tried to connect my handler to the "button_press" signal of
> the Gtk_Drawing_Area like this :

> Widget_Cb.Connect(Gtk_Widget(Current_Da), "button_press",
> Widget_Cb.To_Marshaller(On_Sub_Net_Button_Press'Access));
>
> it compiles well but at the execution the follwing error occurs :

> Gtk-WARNING **: gtk_signal_connect_full(): could not find signal
> "button_press" in the `GtkDrawingArea' class ancestry

The list of signals valid for each widget is given in the Ada package
spec, as comments. So read the spec for Gtk_Drawing_Area. I don't have
GtkAda installed here, so I can't do that right now.

--
-- Stephe

* Re: gtkada
@ 2002-09-20 12:59   ` user
From: user @ 2002-09-20 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stephen Leake wrote:

> Sami Evangelista <sami.evangelista@wanadoo.fr> writes:
>

>>hello
>>is it possible to connect a handler to a drawing_area when the user
>>click on this drawing area.
>>

> You'll get better help on GtkAda from the GtkAda mailing list. See
> http://libre.act-europe.fr/GtkAda/
> (way down near the bottom) for instructions on subscribing.
>

>>I have tried to connect my handler to the "button_press" signal of
>>the Gtk_Drawing_Area like this :
>>
>>---------------------------------------------------------
>>Widget_Cb.Connect(Gtk_Widget(Current_Da), "button_press",
>>Widget_Cb.To_Marshaller(On_Sub_Net_Button_Press'Access));
>>---------------------------------------------------------
>>
>>it compiles well but at the execution the follwing error occurs :
>>
>>---------------------------------------------------------
>>Gtk-WARNING **: gtk_signal_connect_full(): could not find signal
>>"button_press" in the `GtkDrawingArea' class ancestry
>>---------------------------------------------------------
>>

> The list of signals valid for each widget is given in the Ada package
> spec, as comments. So read the spec for Gtk_Drawing_Area. I don't have
> GtkAda installed here, so I can't do that right now.

thanks for your help

gtk.drawing_area spec says :

--  * Connect it to "button_press" and "button_release" events, when you want
--    it to react to user input. Note that you need to set up the event mask
--    with a call to Gtk.Widget.Set_Events.

so i dont understand why my call to connect doesn't work

* Re: gtkada
@ 2002-09-20 14:23     ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2002-09-20 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

user@domain.invalid writes:

> gtk.drawing_area spec says :
>
> --  * Connect it to "button_press" and "button_release" events, when you want
> --    it to react to user input. Note that you need to set up the event mask
> --    with a call to Gtk.Widget.Set_Events.

-- Stephe

* GTKAda
@ 2002-12-15 17:02 R. Srinivasan
From: R. Srinivasan @ 2002-12-15 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

I used to know but can someone give me some pointers on GTKAda? Is there a
website for GTKAda? Is the development quite active with GTKAda? --
particularly on Windows?

any info appreciated.

regards

srini

* Re: GTKAda
@ 2002-12-15 17:35 ` Adrian Knoth
From: Adrian Knoth @ 2002-12-15 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

http://gtkada.eu.org

> Is the development quite active with GTKAda? --

Yes.

> particularly on Windows?

It depends :) It should be, but I've not already heard about GtkAda2.0
for Windows. But you could do the world a favour if you compile it.

--
mail: adi@thur.de  	http://adi.thur.de	PGP: v2-key via keyserver

Ist lang' zu leben nicht dein Fall, bist du ein Raucher von Pall Mall.