* Re: which language
@ 1999-04-27  0:00 john barnes
From: john barnes @ 1999-04-27  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello - spelling is always a jolly topic for consuming the odd hour
when one is bored with programming.

Unlike Robert, I only have the smaller SOD (Shorter English
Dictionary), Third Edition 1993.

It confirms what Robert says except that it gives Programme before
Program and so implies that it prefers Programme for Br English in
non-computer contexts. Tragique this French influence. I blame it
all on that Napoleon chap who made parts of the world drive on the
right just because he was left-handed. At least we resisted that!

The third edition of Fowler confirms all this as well but shows
surprise that programme should have prevailed in Br English. The
first and second editions of Fowler quote a presumably earlier
version of the OED and say "and is preferable, as conforming to the
usual English representation of Greek gamma, in anagram, cryptogram,
diagram, telegram, etc". So dammit chaps, always say program.
(Although I am sure that I have seen telegramme on old forms.)

But of course it wasn't always program in the computer context in
England. My 1958 Ferranti Mercury Autocode manual reminds me that
one had to write

   subprogramme 123

when declaring a separate subroutine.

(Mercury was a lovely machine with as much as 1k of 40bit words and
a big drum that went around slowly. And the valves/tubes glowed so
beautifully.)

Indeed I can remember a long discussion about this and then a
company edict came around (sometime in the early 60s) exhorting us
to write program in the computer context.

Indeed this was rather forced upon those who migrated to the solid
state KDF9 since the corresponding instruction was then spelt as
subprogram.

And there's another word. I note that in the US the past participle
of spell seems to be spelt as spelled. And surprising to me my SOD
gives spelled first. However, my copy of The English Language by
Prof Meicklejohn, the 1895 (11th) edition gives it as just spelt.

And similarly I gather that sleeped is used in the US for slept. My
SOD doesn't even mention sleeped.

How about dreamed and dreamt? I would only use dreamed in a poetic
context. Ditto learned/learnt, weeped/wept etc.

Disc and disk is interesting. My old SOD gives a similar distinction
that disk is US and computing. What about Compact Disc in the US?

I promise not to discuss Finalise and Finalize. But again that
Napoleon chap seems to be at the bottom of it.

Cheers

John Barnes

* spelling was: Re: which language
@ 1999-04-28  0:00 ` Samuel Mize
From: Samuel Mize @ 1999-04-28  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

john barnes <jgpb@jbinfo.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> And there's another word. I note that in the US the past participle
> of spell seems to be spelt as spelled. And surprising to me my SOD
> gives spelled first. However, my copy of The English Language by
> Prof Meicklejohn, the 1895 (11th) edition gives it as just spelt.

So I suppose we in the USA will just have to SOD off.  :-)

> And similarly I gather that sleeped is used in the US for slept. My
> SOD doesn't even mention sleeped.
>
> How about dreamed and dreamt? I would only use dreamed in a poetic
> context. Ditto learned/learnt, weeped/wept etc.

I've never seen "sleeped" or "learnt" over here, that I recall
(Kansas and NE Texas areas).  I think we'd consider the "t" form
to be more formal, poetic or high-falutin'.

Well, no use crying over spilled spelt.

Best,
Sam Mize

--