From: dbotton@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: COMScope Released for Win32
Date: 1999/04/28
Date: 1999-04-28T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <7g6vmg$23$1@nnrp1.dejanews.com>,
  Robert Dewar <robert_dewar@my-dejanews.com> wrote:

> Note that if indeed a binding can be generated
> automatically, that solves the copyright problem. The
> current Win32 bindings are copyright Microsoft, and cannot
> be freely copied. However, a program that generates
> bindings can be freely distributed (if the author so
> decides :-)

The author plans on it :-)

I am not a lawyer, but I don't see why the generated bindings would not be
freely distributed also.

The win32 type library contains bindings to almost all of win32, but there are
some pieces missing. They include the C run time bindings (MSCRT), OpenGL,
windows versions of printf and scanf, and the base Co* functions for COM
(although it does contain bindings for the other parts of COM and OLE).

Most of the other missing parts are COM/OLE related services from Microsoft
and bindings can be generated directly from their dlls, OCXs, tlbs, etc. (For
example to generate a binding to DAO, you would run the binding generator on
DAO3032.dll or for MSMQ mqoa.dll).

Since there is documentation embedded in the type libraries, the bindings will
also be well documented, another plus over the current bindings.

David Botton