From: Robert Dewar <robert_dewar@my-dejanews.com>
Subject: Re: Deffernrce between pubic&commercial Ada
Date: 1999/04/23
Date: 1999-04-23T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <7foavg$3t1@news1.newsguy.com>,
  Samuel Mize <smize@imagin.net> wrote:
> There is one more difference: the public and commercial
> versions are released under the GNU license and the MGNU
> (Modified GNU) license, while the wavefronts are released
> under the super-secret NGNU (Non-scripsit GNU) license
> which empowers ACT to confiscate your computers and shoot
> your kids if you let anyone else see the source code.

Since Sam put no :-) on that, and since people like
spam-spam-spam might actually believe the above, I had
better clarify :-)

The wavefronts are released to specific customers to solve
specific problems if there is no other way of solving the
problem (generally customers and we prefer to find an
effective work around if possible, since you don't want to
move to a new less-tested version of the compiler whenever
you have a problem if you can avoid it).

These wavefronts are released under the GPL and GMG (GNAT
modified GPL) in the usual manner, but with the implicit
understanding that we would prefer these versions not be
further distributed, since they are work in progress that
has not been sufficiently well tested for release, and it
would be confusing, and non-helpful, to have multiple
versions of these wavefronts around (we don't even
routinely make these available to our customers, only on
request if they are needed to solve a problem!)

Robert Dewar
Ada Core Technologies