From: Samuel Mize <smize@imagin.net>
Subject: Re: Deffernrce between pubic&commercial Ada
Date: 1999/04/22
Date: 1999-04-22T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Herwig Huener <Herwig.Huener@ulm.mch.sni.de> wrote:
> Eugene wrote:
>>
>> ... commertial & pubic
>> versions of Gnat? ...
>> Ufff...So many  questions. I hope that you'll not be angry.
>
> We are not, in any way. Methinks, most of us ponder the
> difference between 'pubic' and 'public'! :-)

I know as little as I can about pubic gnats...

I don't know if there are any specific differences between
the public and commerical versions at this moment.

As I understand it, the public version of GNAT is often the
same as the commercial version (except for the version ID,
which indicates that it's the public version).  At worst
it's the previous commercial version.

That is to say, it isn't crippleware or anything.  Of course,
when a new commercial version is released it will include new
things, and these will only get into the public version when
a new public version is released.

There may also be "wavefront" versions of the compiler that
fix a specific problem or provide a specific function, which
is not yet rolled into the commercial version.

ACT won't guarantee the public version, since they don't control
it once it's been released -- they don't know if your copy has
been altered, or corrupted in transmission, or picked up any
pubic gnats or anything.

Best,
Sam Mize

--