* Minimal Cost Spanning Tree
@ 1999-04-19  0:00 ` romantic_man
From: romantic_man @ 1999-04-19  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Would anyone happen to have a greedy implementation of a
of a minimal cost spanning tree??

   -**** Posted from RemarQ, http://www.remarq.com/?b ****-
 Real Discussions for Real People

* Re: Minimal Cost Spanning Tree
@ 1999-04-21  0:00         ` dennison
From: dennison @ 1999-04-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <LemT2.4631$fz.1515134@WReNphoon2>,
  romantic_man@usa.net (RemarQ User) wrote:
> I apologize, I thought these discussion groups
> were for help, but it seems as though you like to use them as a playground.

No. Folks often *do* get help here. But each newsgroup has its own culture and
set of rules. This particular newsgroup has a rather large amount of
participation from university professors. Perhaps for that reason, one of the
unwritten rules here is that we *don't* write student's assignments for them.

If you end up with a large amount of it written, but some seemingly arcane
part of the Ada language is tripping you up, we will generally be glad to
help. Even a simple question like "how do I write a linked data structure?"
is liable to get a good response.

Good luck with the assignment.

--
T.E.D.

* Re: Minimal Cost Spanning Tree
@ 1999-04-21  0:00   ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1999-04-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <Y72T2.4862$_c.1790982@WReNphoon3>,
  romantic_man@usa.net wrote:
> Would anyone happen to have a greedy implementation of a
> of a minimal cost spanning tree??

Yes, I have a version, it is an assignment I have given
out several times, and is definitely an instructive one!

* Re: Minimal Cost Spanning Tree
@ 1999-04-21  0:00     ` cs_man
From: cs_man @ 1999-04-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

If I could somehow obtain a copy of this implementation, that would be
great!!:) An instructive one sounds good as well!

From: dennison @ 1999-04-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <7fkpgi$5m8$1@nnrp1.dejanews.com>,
  cs_man@my-dejanews.com wrote:
> If I could somehow obtain a copy of this implementation, that would be
> great!!:) An instructive one sounds good as well!
>
> In article <7fjbre$uah$1@nnrp1.dejanews.com>,
>   Robert Dewar <robert_dewar@my-dejanews.com> wrote:
> > In article <Y72T2.4862$_c.1790982@WReNphoon3>,
> >   romantic_man@usa.net wrote:
> > > Would anyone happen to have a greedy implementation of a
> > > of a minimal cost spanning tree??
> >
> > Yes, I have a version, it is an assignment I have given
> > out several times, and is definitely an instructive one!

Unfortunatly some students are incapable of taking a hint, unless it is
attached to the flat end of a shovel vigorously applied to their heads...
:-)

--
T.E.D.

* Re: Minimal Cost Spanning Tree
@ 1999-04-21  0:00   ` RemarQ User
From: RemarQ User @ 1999-04-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

If I could somehow obtain a copy of this implementation that would be
great!!
The instructional part would help even more.  Thanks in advance!!

@ 1999-04-21  0:00     ` RemarQ User
From: RemarQ User @ 1999-04-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Not to sound totally idiotic, but how fo I get to the implementation from
message two???

Thanks again!

@ 1999-04-21  0:00       ` RemarQ User
From: RemarQ User @ 1999-04-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I apologize, I thought these discussion groups
were for help, but it seems as though you like to use them as a playground.
I am not the type to just take code from someone else and turn it in.  I
just
wanted a little help, but it seems as though I can't get it here.

Thanks anyway, have a nice day.

@ 1999-04-22  0:00         ` Markus Kuhn
From: Markus Kuhn @ 1999-04-22  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <LemT2.4631$fz.1515134@WReNphoon2>, romantic_man@usa.net (RemarQ User) writes:
|> I apologize, I thought these discussion groups
|> were for help, but it seems as though you like to use them as a playground.
|> I am not the type to just take code from someone else and turn it in.  I
|> just wanted a little help, but it seems as though I can't get it here.

Dear anonymous Ada programming student,

In the case of a programming class assignment, the *best* help
you can get is some encouragement to work out the solution
for yourself.

Most people here are quite well trained in computer science and they
can immediately distinguish a typical class assignment problem
from a real-world problem. It is not appropriate to ask here for
someone doing your entire homework, and it is very rude for you
to not even reveal that this is your homework problem.

If you have a specific question, then people here will be happy to help
you. But first you will have to learn how to ask a specific question
and not just repeat the text of the assignment. And now go and read
in [Corman/Leiserson/Rivest: Introduction to Algorithms, MIT Press]
the section about Kruskal's algorithm, and every Ada textbook will
teach you how to convert the pseudo code that you will find into a
working quality Ada implementation. You won't believe how good it
feels once you've cracked the problem yourself.

Markus