From: Lucas Redding <lucas.redding@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Upgrade to gnat 2015 now project not linking
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2015 10:52:30 -0700 (PDT)
Date: 2015-09-30T10:52:30-07:00	[thread overview]

On Wednesday, September 30, 2015 at 6:20:39 PM UTC+1, Lucas Redding wrote:
> On Wednesday, September 30, 2015 at 6:07:34 PM UTC+1, Lucas Redding wrote:
> > >
> > > For a start, -c might do.
> >
> > Thanks George,
> >
> > It turns out that its the -M option in the linking switches.
> >
> > 2013 -M produces both the map file and the executable.
> > 2015 -M only produces the map file, and not the executable.
> >
> > Conclusion: If you want a map file to go with an executable you need a separate build for each (Map and exe).
> >
> > I have come to conclusion on this through trial and error. It may be buried somewhere in the documentation, but I certainly have been unable to find it.
> >
> > Nonetheless after plenty of headaches and heartaches, all systems are now go.
> >
> > Any further offers of elaboration (not the Ada kind) on this issue are very welcome.
> >
> > Thanks to all who answered.
> >
> > Much appreciated
> >
> > Lucas
>
> Hold fire!
>
> I was too quick to come to conclusion. -M does not generate a map file.
>
> I need to look into how to generate a map file in 2015.
>
> I'll be back.
>
> Cheers
>
> Lucas

Ok. It looks like gprbuild is being used even though you specify gnatmake in the build settings target and -M is incompatible with GPRBUILD.

I changed my build\settings\target for "build main" to gprbuild and I added the switch --create-map-file and viola, I now have both a map file and an executable.

Final Conclusion: Use gprbuild and make sure you do not use -M in the linker switches. Instead use --create-map-file switch in the  build\settings\target for "build main" command line.

Thanks again

All the best

Lucas