* Re: "Gone But Not Forgotten"
@ 1999-04-09  0:00 ` Tarjei Tj�stheim Jensen
From: Tarjei Tj�stheim Jensen @ 1999-04-09  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Werner Pachler wrote in message <7elepj$gul$1@fleetstreet.Austria.EU.net>...
>Hi all,
>
>did anybody read the article published by Joe Celko at
>
>http://www.intelligententerprise.com/993003/frm_celko.shtml
>
>Is he just another guy, who did not understand what Ada means?
>
>And why do people publish such hateful polemics...
>
>Have a nice day

Joe Celko should know.

Frankly I don't see how there could be a problem making a subset of Ada 83 or
Ada 95. Once you have the basic type and variable stuff, arithmetic, strings,
labels and if and goto you should have something that would be ugly and
running. It would resemble Ada, but it would not be pretty.

His pronouncement of Ada being dead is further from the truth today than ever
before. To me it looks like Ada is thriving. Just look at the activity in
comp.lang.ada these days.

Greetings,

* Re: "Gone But Not Forgotten"
@ 1999-04-09  0:00   ` Pat Rogers
From: Pat Rogers @ 1999-04-09  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tarjei Tj�stheim Jensen <tarjei.jensen@kvaerner.no> wrote in message

> Werner Pachler wrote in message
<7elepj$gul$1@fleetstreet.Austria.EU.net>...
> >Hi all,
> >
> >did anybody read the article published by Joe Celko at
> >
> >http://www.intelligententerprise.com/993003/frm_celko.shtml
> >
> >Is he just another guy, who did not understand what Ada means?
> >
> >And why do people publish such hateful polemics...
> >
> >Have a nice day
>

> Joe Celko should know.
>
> Frankly I don't see how there could be a problem making a subset of
Ada 83 or
> Ada 95. Once you have the basic type and variable stuff, arithmetic,
strings,
> labels and if and goto you should have something that would be ugly
and
> running. It would resemble Ada, but it would not be pretty.

He's fifteen years out of date, if I interpret his ranting correctly.
He didn't even get the requirements documents names right.  Yeesh.

* Re: "Gone But Not Forgotten"
@ 1999-04-09  0:00 ` Richard D Riehle
From: Richard D Riehle @ 1999-04-09  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <7elepj$gul$1@fleetstreet.Austria.EU.net>,
	"Werner Pachler" <werner.pachler@austria.ncr.com> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>did anybody read the article published by Joe Celko at
>http://www.intelligententerprise.com/993003/frm_celko.shtml

 Celko has been around for quite a while.  He usually writes
 about database topics.  His enmity towards Ada has been published
 before in ComputerWorld and elsewhere.

 Just chalk it up to an unfortunate case of a very ignorant
 man making pronouncements about something he does not know
 anything about.  Sadly, his rantings are widely read and he
 is a good enough writer that he can influence people toward
 the same irrational assessment of Ada that he has made.

 Richard Riehle
 richard@adaworks.com
 http://www.adaworks.com

* "Gone But Not Forgotten"
@ 1999-04-09  0:00 Werner Pachler
From: Werner Pachler @ 1999-04-09  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1999-04-10  0:00   ` Tarjei Tj�stheim Jensen
From: Tarjei Tj�stheim Jensen @ 1999-04-10  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Richard D Riehle wrote
> Just chalk it up to an unfortunate case of a very ignorant
> man making pronouncements about something he does not know
> anything about.  Sadly, his rantings are widely read and he
> is a good enough writer that he can influence people toward
> the same irrational assessment of Ada that he has made.

I think he doesn't like the strong typing in Ada. That is the impression I get
from reading his comments about the type safe sql addition to Ada (don't
remember the name, but it is made by the company formerly known as
intermetrics).

Greetings,

* Re: "Gone But Not Forgotten"
@ 1999-04-11  0:00     ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1999-04-11  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <923692597.547.29@news.remarQ.com>,
  "Pat Rogers" <progers@NOclasswideSPAM.com> wrote:

Someone should write an article, as if from Ada herself,
with the title

"News of my death is greatly exaggerated"

(or whatever the exact Mark Twain quote is)

:-)

The article incidentally is extremely full of nonsense
with respect to compiler technology, but what does anyone
expect from this guy?

* Re: "Gone But Not Forgotten"
@ 1999-04-11  0:00 ` BARDIN Marc
From: BARDIN Marc @ 1999-04-11  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)