* Another Ada success story
@ 1999-04-06  0:00 gbooker
From: gbooker @ 1999-04-06  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

For those not yet aware of it, the Federal Aviation Administration has
another Ada success story to share.  The US en route air traffic control
radar system now has a new display system called, logically enough, the
Display System Replacement (DSR).  DSR is replacing those garish green round
displays you see in the movies, with stunning 28" Sony monitors, backed by a
herd of IBM RS/6000 computers and a half million lines of Ada code.

Last December, DSR became fully operational at the first of twenty sites
across the US.	Bravo!

* Re: Another Ada success story
@ 1999-04-07  0:00 ` Steve Quinlan
From: Steve Quinlan @ 1999-04-07  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

gbooker@acm.org wrote:

> For those not yet aware of it, the Federal Aviation Administration has
> another Ada success story to share.

   Considering I've spent most of the last 5 years working on the DSR project
(and before that on its predecessor), the kudos are appreciated. Yes, Ada is now
helping run the En Route Air Traffic Control system. First site to go fully
operational was Seattle. Others will be coming online in the next year or so.

   Next up (for us at Lockheed Martin Air Traffic Managment) will be our first
Ada 95 project. Based on a prototype written in C and PL/I by MITRE, the
"Conflict Probe" system we are developing gives controllers more new HW and SW
to see predicted positions of aircraft up to 20 min. into the future, get
graphical indications on trajectories when those predicted positions get too
close, and gives graphical tools to aid in planning aircraft course changes to
avoid the "loss of separation" (Air Traffic Control term for planes getting
closer than minimum standards allow).

  Very cool stuff.
                                 Steve Quinlan

* Re: Another Ada success story
@ 1999-04-07  0:00   ` Steve O'Neill
From: Steve O'Neill @ 1999-04-07  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steve Quinlan wrote:

>Next up (for us at Lockheed Martin Air Traffic Managment) will be our
>first Ada 95 project. Based on a prototype written in C and PL/I by
>MITRE,

Why, pray tell, was the prototype done in this combination of languages?

From: Steve Quinlan @ 1999-04-07  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steve O'Neill wrote:

> Steve Quinlan wrote:
>
> >Next up (for us at Lockheed Martin Air Traffic Managment) will be our
> >first Ada 95 project. Based on a prototype written in C and PL/I by
> >MITRE,
>
> Why, pray tell, was the prototype done in this combination of languages?

I don't really know. MITRE did the prototype work and I'm not familiar with
the whole history of it. The prototype is a result of some research that has
been going on for many years. It's only now that the FAA has decided they
want to develop a productized version of this and deploy it.

I don't know the original platform that the prototype was developed for.
Right now, it runs on a DEC Alpha machine, but I don't think that's where it
started.  I think that what happened was that picked PL/I a long time ago,
and more recently they began trying to port it to C, but never completed the
port. Some of the display code (uses Motif) may have always been in C; I'm
not sure.

By the way, we won't be "porting" much of this code, with the exception of
some of the C code involved in controlling the displays. Our version of this
will run on a Sun SPARC machine rather than on a DEC. Display code will be
C, most everything else will be Ada 95.

* Re: Another Ada success story
@ 1999-04-07  0:00       ` Glenn R. Larkin
From: Glenn R. Larkin @ 1999-04-07  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <370B8155.26A3395C@nospam.lmco.com>,
steven.quinlan@nospam.lmco.com says...

> Steve O'Neill wrote:
>
> > Steve Quinlan wrote:
> >
> > >Next up (for us at Lockheed Martin Air Traffic Managment) will be our
> > >first Ada 95 project. Based on a prototype written in C and PL/I by
> > >MITRE,
> >
> > Why, pray tell, was the prototype done in this combination of languages?
>
> I don't really know. MITRE did the prototype work and I'm not familiar with
> the whole history of it. The prototype is a result of some research that has
> been going on for many years. It's only now that the FAA has decided they
> want to develop a productized version of this and deploy it.
>
> I don't know the original platform that the prototype was developed for.
> Right now, it runs on a DEC Alpha machine, but I don't think that's where it
> started.  I think that what happened was that picked PL/I a long time ago,
> and more recently they began trying to port it to C, but never completed the
> port. Some of the display code (uses Motif) may have always been in C; I'm
> not sure.
>
> By the way, we won't be "porting" much of this code, with the exception of
> some of the C code involved in controlling the displays. Our version of this
> will run on a Sun SPARC machine rather than on a DEC. Display code will be
> C, most everything else will be Ada 95.

We're working with a very similiar architecture here at Lawrence
Livermore Labs, building a control system for a new laser project. The
supervisory GUIs are being written in C++/Motif, while most of the rest
of the software is Ada95. The connection between the languages will be
CORBA. The platforms are a mix of Solaris and VxWorks machines.

For some more information, check out:
http://lasers.llnl.gov/lasers/nif/ICCS/

Glenn

* Re: Another Ada success story
@ 1999-04-09  0:00   ` L. Andrew Campbell
From: L. Andrew Campbell @ 1999-04-09  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

--
 zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
| L. Andrew Campbell     internet: campbell@aero.org       |