From: dennison@telepath.com
Subject: Re: Terminal Control (or System calls), unix
Date: 1999/04/05
Date: 1999-04-05T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <7eaf43$mk2$1@nnrp1.dejanews.com>,
  dennison@telepath.com wrote:
> In article <F9LA0u.4w@jvdsys.stuyts.nl>,
>   jerry@jvdsys.stuyts.nl (Jerry van Dijk) wrote:
> > dennison@telepath.com wrote:
> >

> > : If its a system call, you should be able to make it from Ada. However I
> think
> > : stty is typically a shell builtin, isn't it?
> >
> > That does not matter, on Linux, you could use something like:
>
> I suppose. But don't you have to worry that the person executing your program
> might have a default shell on which stty behaves differently (or does not
> exist)?

OK. I just went and checked. For the two unixes I tried (AIX 4.2 and SunOS
5.3) stty is *not* a shell builtin; it is a command. So Ted, you're an idiot.
(Wow, flaming me is fun. No wonder so many do it. :-)

Also, it appears stty changes apply to a parent shell when I invoke it from a
child shell, so I suspect the "system" call method would do the trick.

However, since the original poster seemed to really want "curses"
functionality, I'd suggest they go ahead and use curses to aviod frustration
on further functionalty during the rest of the implementation process. If
they only need a few curses functions, writing a small number of "thick"
bindings by hand is really no trouble. If they want a lot, there are thin
bindings (and thin binding generators) out there.

T.E.D.