From: "David C. Hoos, Sr." <david.c.hoos.sr@ada95.com>
Subject: Re: Terminal IO, and menus
Date: 1999/03/30
Date: 1999-03-30T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Heath Isler wrote in message <7drb1p$48k$1@nw001t.infi.net>...
>Hello,
>
>I am new to ADA, I like it so far.  It seems to be one of the most readable
>Languages I have seen.
>
>My question is is there a way in the stadard packages to Clear the Screen
>and postition the cursor in a specific location, i.e. Locate_Cursor (x =>
>10, y =>15); ?  I am plan on using this for menus and data input.
>
>I have looked and haven't been able to find anything in the Standard
>Packages, if I missed something please let me know.
>
>I have also looked through alot of packages on the net, and some of them
>seem to fit my need.  I not sure if I should use one of the Terminal IO or
>menu packages.  Can anyone recommend a package to use?

You need to be more specific about on which platform(s) you want to run.
For example, DOS, Windows 3.1, Windows 9X and Most UNIXes have ANSI
terminal emulations which allow you to use escape sequences to position
the cursor.  A simplified exampl of using this is provided in the
diners program in the gnat examples.

On Windows NT, there is no ANS terminal emulator, so you would need to
use a pakage like Jerry van Dijk's NT Console, available at
http://stad.dsl.nl/~jvandyk

In short, the standard packages do not cover operating-system-specific
features.