* Beginner needs help
@ 1999-03-30  0:00 Peter43210
From: Peter43210 @ 1999-03-30  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I don't know anything of the Ada language, but I gonna have to use it in a
couple of months. Is there anybody to tell me where I could find the program
(compiler) and any book (on the Net, because I'm French) to help me start.
Thanks to anybody answering,
Vincent

* Re: Beginner needs help
@ 1999-03-30  0:00 ` Andreas Winckler
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Andreas Winckler @ 1999-03-30  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter43210

Peter43210 wrote:

> I don't know anything of the Ada language, but I gonna have to use it
> in a couple of months. Is there anybody to tell me where I could find
> the program (compiler) and any book (on the Net, because I'm French)
> to help me start.

http://www.adahome.com/ is a good place to begin with. For a quick and
easy start the free GNAT compiler is the right choice. It's available on
many ftp-sites. As user-interface and Editor for GNAT I can strongly
recommend Grasp, see
http://www.eng.auburn.edu/department/cse/research/grasp/ for details.

Good luck learning Ada!

AW
Andreas Winckler                             Tel: (+49) (7541) 282 - 462
Department: MHS                              Fax: (+49) (7541) 282 - 299
FREQUENTIS Network Systems GmbH              http://www.frqnet.de

* Re: Beginner needs help
@ 1999-03-30  0:00 ` Steve Quinlan
From: Steve Quinlan @ 1999-03-30  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter43210 wrote:

> I don't know anything of the Ada language, but I gonna have to use it in a
> couple of months. Is there anybody to tell me where I could find the program
> (compiler) and any book (on the Net, because I'm French) to help me start.
> Thanks to anybody answering,
> Vincent

  You can find references to everything you want at  www.adahome.com . Go to the
bottom -- "Lovelace tutorial" is an online Ada programming tutorial. Click
"compilers" and follow that till you get to the link to the GNAT mirror sites.
GNAT is a freely available Ada compiler which you can download and install.

* Re: Beginner needs help
@ 1999-03-30  0:00 ` David C. Hoos, Sr.
From: David C. Hoos, Sr. @ 1999-03-30  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter43210 wrote in message <19990330075715.13320.00000012@ng43.aol.com>...
>I don't know anything of the Ada language, but I gonna have to use it in a
>couple of months. Is there anybody to tell me where I could find the program
>(compiler) and any book (on the Net, because I'm French) to help me start.
>Thanks to anybody answering,
>Vincent
The GNU ada compiler (GNAT) is available for many platforms
(you didn't say which one you need to use) at
ftp://ftp.cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat

A debugger and copious documentation is there also.

I am not personally aware of any Ada books in French, but
there is a selection for your perusal at mt website
http://ada95.com/bookstore.htm

For on-line documentation, start at http://adahome.com and/or
http://adaic.org

Welcome to the Ada community.

* Re: Beginner needs help
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1999-04-04  0:00 ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 1999-04-04  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Take a look at http://www.botton.com/ada for some sample code, discounts
on books, and links to all the best Ada sites on the net.

David Botton