* An interesting ADA article..
@ 1999-03-24  0:00 Jonathan Hough
From: Jonathan Hough @ 1999-03-24  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Here's an interesting article...

ftp://ftp.netcom.com/pub/hb/hbaker/sigplannotices/gigo-1997-04.html

Jon Hough

* Re: An interesting ADA article..
@ 1999-03-24  0:00 ` Matthew Heaney
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Matthew Heaney @ 1999-03-24  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jonathan Hough <Jonathan.Hough@gecm.com> writes:

> Here's an interesting article...
>
> ftp://ftp.netcom.com/pub/hb/hbaker/sigplannotices/gigo-1997-04.html

More doggerel from Henry.  An April Fool's joke, perhaps?

* Re: An interesting ADA article..
@ 1999-03-24  0:00   ` robert_dewar
From: robert_dewar @ 1999-03-24  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <m390cn187p.fsf@mheaney.ni.net>,
  Matthew Heaney <matthew_heaney@acm.org> wrote:
> Jonathan Hough <Jonathan.Hough@gecm.com> writes:
>
> > Here's an interesting article...

ftp://ftp.netcom.com/pub/hb/hbaker/sigplannotices/gigo-1997
-04.html

> More doggerel from Henry.  An April Fool's joke, perhaps?

I would not say the article is interesting, but it is
certainly good humour. I assume no one is so humor-impaired
that they would interpret it literally, but perhaps there
are even those who interpret "A Modest Proposal" from Swift
literally :-)

One entertaining postscript is that at the original press
conference in 1983 which announced the first Ada 83
validation at NYU, one of the reporters asked

"if all computer programs are written in the same language
and can be easily understood, won't that create a serious
security issue, since it means the Soviets can easily
understand our programs?"

or something like that :-) :-)

* Re: An interesting ADA article..
@ 1999-03-24  0:00 ` dennison
From: dennison @ 1999-03-24  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <36F8BC77.757FC752@gecm.com>,
  Jonathan Hough <Jonathan.Hough@gecm.com> wrote:

> Here's an interesting article...
>
> ftp://ftp.netcom.com/pub/hb/hbaker/sigplannotices/gigo-1997-04.html

He's about 6 days early....

T.E.D.

* Re: An interesting ADA article..
@ 1999-03-24  0:00     ` Mike Silva
From: Mike Silva @ 1999-03-24  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

robert_dewar@my-dejanews.com wrote in message
>...one of the reporters asked
>
>"if all computer programs are written in the same language
>and can be easily understood, won't that create a serious
>security issue, since it means the Soviets can easily
>understand our programs?"
>
>or something like that :-) :-)

That's a good'un.  It makes me wonder if perhaps the famous ongoing C
obfuscation contest really started out as a DoD software security project?

(obligatory note -- I'm not slamming C; in fact it's my main paycheck
language)

Mike

* Re: An interesting ADA article..
@ 1999-03-24  0:00 ` Chad Bremmon
From: Chad Bremmon @ 1999-03-24  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I can't believe he spent time doing this.

Chad

@ 1999-03-25  0:00       ` Dale Stanbrough
From: Dale Stanbrough @ 1999-03-25  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Henry,

Keep taking the medication.

Dale

* Re: An interesting ADA article..
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1999-03-25  0:00 ` Chris Morgan
From: Chris Morgan @ 1999-03-25  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jonathan Hough <Jonathan.Hough@gecm.com> writes:

> Here's an interesting article...
>
> ftp://ftp.netcom.com/pub/hb/hbaker/sigplannotices/gigo-1997-04.html

I think Henry just may have been inspired by

http://www.spaceports.com/~za/jokes/unix.and.C.are.jokes.html
--
Chris Morgan <mihalis at ix.netcom.com                http://mihalis.net
     "Faced with the prospect of re-reading this book, I would rather