* How smart are Ada compilers?
@ 1999-03-22  0:00 Larry Hazel
From: Larry Hazel @ 1999-03-22  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

The Ada 83 code (Apex compiler) I am examining uses machine code to access
486 block move instructions to copy data into and out of memory shared
between multiple boards.  I would think that an Ada compiler targeted to a
486 would use such instructions to implement Ada assignments of large objects
without resorting to machine code.  Does Apex (GNAT, Aonix, Green Hills, RR,
etc) generate such code automatically?

* Re: How smart are Ada compilers?
@ 1999-03-23  0:00 ` robert_dewar
From: robert_dewar @ 1999-03-23  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <7d5n3s$mf8$1@nnrp1.dejanews.com>,
  Larry Hazel <lhazel@mindspring.com> wrote:
> The Ada 83 code (Apex compiler) I am examining uses
> machine code to access
> 486 block move instructions to copy data into and out of
> memory shared
> between multiple boards.  I would think that an Ada
> compiler targeted to a
> 486 would use such instructions to implement Ada
> assignments of large objects
> without resorting to machine code.  Does Apex (GNAT,
> Aonix, Green Hills, RR,
> etc) generate such code automatically?

Very probably so, (certainly for GNAT the answer is
yes). However, to rely on this would be very bad coding
style. If the board in question requires the generation
of certain machine instructions to work right, then it
is correct (really essential) to use the corresponding
machine insertion, rather than rely on what the compiler
happens to be doing today!