* Q: some Ada 95 books.
@ 1999-03-14  0:00 Hee
From: Hee @ 1999-03-14  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi, I am studying Ada in Korea. Ada is unfamiliar programming language in
Korea because most of Korean programmers use C, C++ and JAVA. They think Ada
is dinosaur in programming language and difficult to learn.
However, Nov. 28. 1998. Ada symposium was held in Some University in Korea.
Many people participate in symposium, include a staff of Aonix,
officials of National Defense, many professors.

Korea has only three Ada 83 books. I managed to get an Ada 95 book from
foreign bookstore in Seoul, Korea but I want some advenced Ada 95 books. I
will be happy someone recommends a proper Ada 95 book.

* Re: Q: some Ada 95 books.
@ 1999-03-14  0:00 ` mjsilva
From: mjsilva @ 1999-03-14  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <JzbbIqhb#GA.230@news3.netsgo.com>,
  "Hee" <jmmm@netsgo.com> wrote:
> Hi, I am studying Ada in Korea. Ada is unfamiliar programming language in
> Korea because most of Korean programmers use C, C++ and JAVA. They think Ada
> is dinosaur in programming language and difficult to learn.
> However, Nov. 28. 1998. Ada symposium was held in Some University in Korea.
> Many people participate in symposium, include a staff of Aonix,
> officials of National Defense, many professors.
>
> Korea has only three Ada 83 books. I managed to get an Ada 95 book from
> foreign bookstore in Seoul, Korea but I want some advenced Ada 95 books. I
> will be happy someone recommends a proper Ada 95 book.

I'm a longtime programmer who's been learning Ada recently, and I have found
two books to be especially useful.  They are:

"Ada for Software Engineers" by Ben-Ari.  When I read this book I always feel
as though the author is at my side, pointing out all kinds of helpful
information and connections that I'd missed in other books.  A very useful
book.

"Ada as a Second Language" by Cohen.  A very comprehensive book, with all the
detail I could want.  This is my first "goto" book whenever I have a question.

It is interesting (and sad) that programmers who are unfamiliar with Ada form
such poor opinions of it.  I am finding it to be a delightful and elegant
language, and hope to use it on our next large project.

Mike

* Re: Q: some Ada 95 books.
@ 1999-03-14  0:00 ` Matthew Heaney
From: Matthew Heaney @ 1999-03-14  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Hee" <jmmm@netsgo.com> writes:

> Hi, I am studying Ada in Korea. Ada is unfamiliar programming language in
> Korea because most of Korean programmers use C, C++ and JAVA. They think Ada
> is dinosaur in programming language and difficult to learn.

If you can master C++, then you can _easily_ learn Ada95.

> Korea has only three Ada 83 books. I managed to get an Ada 95 book from
> foreign bookstore in Seoul, Korea but I want some advenced Ada 95 books. I
> will be happy someone recommends a proper Ada 95 book.

I like the book Programming In Ada95, by John Barnes.

Subscribe to the ACM patterns email list.  It has examples of Ada95
programming.

The URL of the patterns archive is

<http://www.acm.org/archives/patterns.html>

You subscribe to the email list by writing a message with the body (the
subject line is not used):

subscribe patterns <your full name goes here>

Send the message to the ACM mailing list server:

<mailto:listserv@acm.org>

* Re: Q: some Ada 95 books.
@ 1999-03-24  0:00 ` Chad Bremmon
From: Chad Bremmon @ 1999-03-24  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am a strong believer in Cohen, but it's not a book that I would sit down with
to start.  It's great as a reference, and mine is well worn.

I would however, recommend both Barnes, Programming In Ada95 (2nd Edition)
ISBN: 0-201-34293-6
and John English, Ada95, The Craft of Object Oriented Programming
ISBN: 0-13-230350-7

* Re: Q: some Ada 95 books.
@ 1999-03-24  0:00   ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 1999-03-24  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

You can see a brief description of these titles and do a comparison shop
for best price at:

The Ada Source Code Treasury - Books Section
http://www.botton.com/ada/books

I recommend going through the Lovelace Tutorial (Wheeler) (on-line or
book), then Cohen's Ada as a second language and throw in Concurrency in
Ada (Burns).

David Botton