From: mfb@mbunix.mitre.org (Michael F Brenner)
Subject: Re: Ada95 representation of geographic coordinate system(s)
Date: 1999/03/12
Date: 1999-03-12T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Tarjei.Jensen@kvaerner.com asked me to post this reponse:

I have trouble posting from my account. So here goes by mail.

> I have some Free code that does a simple spherical earth model,
> including intersections of great circles on the earth,
> dead reckoning, travelling along great circles, and converting
> plane to spherical trigonometry.

Would that be useful in one of the repositories or is is already there?

> I do not know of a Free source of source code for the various
> geodetic, oblate, etc. systems of geographical coordinates.

There is acutally quite a lot of more or less free software available
for GIS. The ones I am aware of is grass and moss. The problem with
these are that they are written in C. However I believe that it is
pos
sible to get useful information from these programs regarding how to
represent coordinates. GIS people seems to think that something called
quadtrees are really neat. I am basically clueless about these.

I think grass is the most modern. I believe it is being maintained by a
commercial company.

Greetings,