From: "Hibou57 (Yannick Duchêne)" <yannick_duchene@yahoo.fr>
Subject: Will UML helps to document Ada sources ?
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2009 16:01:57 -0700 (PDT)
Date: 2009-07-18T16:01:57-07:00	[thread overview]

Hi folks,

I was thinking about using UML diagrams to express the overview of an
Ada design. Designing with Ada is already a kind of modelisation in
some way, but I was thinking it would be nice to have some diagrams
for a quicker and easier understanding and to have a more abstract
overview on the design.

But I know too much few about UML, so I'm looking for some examples of
Ada specifications and implementations source coming with their
associated UML diagrams. By the way, this will help me to go further
with UML (if its Ok to suppose there is nothing wrong in learning UML
using some Ada skills).

I'm not clearly an UML fan, as I think a source is more concret (it
can be checked and compiled and Ada allows to check standalone
specifications), but I still feel it should be good at documenting and
giving design overviews. I'm not to compare written and visual
languages, I guess the limites of each (the two dimensionel aspect of
visual language helps to give quick and easy overview, while a written
language is more handy at expressing a great amount of things).

So I'm coming with two questions : do you know a place with some
exemples and do you think UML diagrams can really helps in the
mentioned areas ?

P.S. I don't bother about weither or not users will know UML, as UML
diagrams are most of times intuitively understandable. But creating,
unlike reading such diagrams, requires more knowlegde of this
language.