From: Richard D Riehle <laoXhai@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Ada.Streams examples
Date: 1999/03/11
Date: 1999-03-11T10:21:54-08:00	[thread overview]

In article <36E7EFCF.82A87270@nospam.lmco.com>,
	Steve Quinlan <steven.quinlan@nospam.lmco.com> wrote:

>Richard D Riehle wrote:
>
>>  Note that Exception_Occurrence is a record.  Therfore, it is necessary
to create Read and Write operations for it
>> since none currently exist.
>
>Why would there not be read and write operations available? Those
attributes are supported for composite types, aren't
>they?

 Perhaps I should have said, it is possible to override the Read and Write
 operations so they behave exactly as you want them to. In fact, the
 procedures Read and Write, in package Ada.Streams, are abstract so they
 must be overridden. Note: we are not talking of Ada.Streams.Stream_IO.
 We are talking about the parent package Ada.Streams (LRM 13.13.1).
 Notice how useful this is in Ada.Exceptions from the GNAT compiler.

 Richard