* GNAT 3.11p for OS/2  ?
@ 1999-02-24  0:00 Bill Eriksson
From: Bill Eriksson @ 1999-02-24  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

When will there be an update to  GNAT 3.11p for os/2 ?

I think there is one, but not uploaded yet.

While waiting,

   Bill

* Re: GNAT 3.11p for OS/2  ?
@ 1999-03-10  0:00 ` tim
From: tim @ 1999-03-10  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 23 Feb 1999 23:12:57, Bill Eriksson
<bill.eriksson@bigfoot.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> When will there be an update to  GNAT 3.11p for os/2 ?
>
> I think there is one, but not uploaded yet.

Has any new information about 3.11 for OS/2 surfaced? I enquired of
Mr.Dewar about the matter and his e-mail response was to the effect
that while a 3.11 exists, [ I don't now its quality status] there was
no immediate plans to release it. Mr.Dewar mentioned that he hoped
they would be able to get it out at a not-too-distant-time. I meant to
reply to his kind note but was busy chasing children arounfd the house
at the time. Since then the message scrolled off the inbox folder and
became out-of-sight, out-of-mind.  If anyone has heard any news would
they please let me know by posting or a quick e-mail.

Thanks

Tim Erickson
t j e r i c k at I B M . N E T
Remove the spaces to reply
PGP public key available at:
http://pgp5.ai.mit.edu/pks-commands.html#extract
http://www.ca.pgp.net/pgpnet/wwwkeys.html

* Re: GNAT 3.11p for OS/2 ?
@ 1999-03-11  0:00   ` dewar
From: dewar @ 1999-03-11  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article
<CPEI7H0BxBi0-pn2-d85E7dSm2e9c@slip129-37-168-238.pq.ca.ibm
.net>,
> Has any new information about 3.11 for OS/2 surfaced? I
> enquired of  Mr.Dewar about the matter and his e-mail
> response was to the effect  that while a 3.11 exists, [ I
> don't now its quality status] there was no immediate
> plans to release it.

The situation is as follows:

There is as of yet no 3.11b2 OS/2 release of GNAT
Professional, the demand for this is minimal, and it simply
has not got to the top of our priority list. We hope to get
to this in the near future. As soon as we have a 3.11b2
built, we will be able to make the 3.11p release soon
thereafter.

So there is no issue of having something but having no
plans to release it, the problem is not plans to release,
the problem is having something to release.

There is no significant technical obstacle, but building
a new OS/2 release takes a couple of days of work, and we
have not yet had the time to do it.

Of course everything is out there to do this build (the
OS/2 3.10p release, and the 3.11p sources), but it is not
a trivial task to actually put together the release in
fully working form!

We are hoping to make progress on this in the near future.
As I think most people know, I am a great OS/2 fan, and use
it for all my work (I am typing away from OS/2 on a TP770X
right now). We just acquired a new machine to be dedicated
to OS/2 builds, so that will help the procedure along
hopefully.

Robert Dewar
Ada Core Technologies

P.S. I am always happy to hear from people interested
in GNAT on OS/2 :-)