* Binary Distribution - Ada utilities
@ 2015-04-11 15:36 RasikaSrinivasan
From: RasikaSrinivasan @ 2015-04-11 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

all

I am writing some utilities using gnat gpl. I am confused about some licensing considerations.

E.g.

https://github.com/RajaSrinivasan/Projects.git

I would like to distribute the binaries for those who would not care about sources.

Some questions:

- For Win 7, what is the minimal set of dll's needed for a command line program?
- Can I include these dll's in my distro?

so far I have not used any packages other than from GNAT GPL. But I am going to be starting to use some other packages such as the library from zipada. how does it change the picture?

thanks for any clues.

srini

* Re: Binary Distribution - Ada utilities
@ 2015-04-11 20:44 ` Dennis Lee Bieber
From: Dennis Lee Bieber @ 2015-04-11 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 11 Apr 2015 08:36:04 -0700 (PDT), "RasikaSrinivasan@gmail.com"
<RasikaSrinivasan@gmail.com> declaimed the following:

>all
>
>I am writing some utilities using gnat gpl. I am confused about some licensing considerations.
>
>E.g.
>
>https://github.com/RajaSrinivasan/Projects.git
>
>I would like to distribute the binaries for those who would not care about sources.

	They may not care about sources, but the impression I get of GPL itself
is that you MUST provide the sources with it.

>Some questions:
>
>- For Win 7, what is the minimal set of dll's needed for a command line program?
>- Can I include these dll's in my distro?
>
>so far I have not used any packages other than from GNAT GPL. But I am going to be starting to use some other packages such as the library from zipada. how does it change the picture?

	You need to check the license for that third-party package, and somehow
combine it with the GPL license.

	If it is a prebuilt DLL, you probably only have to look at the
distribution restrictions for the DLL itself... BUT, if the DLL is built
from source USING GNAT GPL, it likely now incorporates its original license
and GPL (if it uses ANY of the GNAT run-time library -- which is almost
anything useful -- the run-time is no longer non-infectious).

* Re: Binary Distribution - Ada utilities
@ 2015-04-11 20:54 ` gautier_niouzes
From: gautier_niouzes @ 2015-04-11 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le samedi 11 avril 2015 17:36:06 UTC+2, RasikaSr...@gmail.com a écrit :

> - For Win 7, what is the minimal set of dll's needed for a command line program?

Good news there: you need 0 dll !

Actually it is even possible to have a program with full GUI (GWindows) and database access for instance, and still no dll to ship with your executable.

> so far I have not used any packages other than from GNAT GPL. But I am going to be starting to use some other packages such as the library from zipada. how does it change the picture?

As I understand it, the less permissive license wins. For instance if you build with GNAT GPL, you need to ship sources with your binaries.
If you compile with the FSF version of GNAT and none of the sources is GPL or similar, you can ship the binaries without sources.
_________________________
Gautier's Ada programming
http://gautiersblog.blogspot.com/search/label/Ada
NB: follow the above link for a valid e-mail address

* Re: Binary Distribution - Ada utilities
@ 2015-04-12  1:33   ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2015-04-12  1:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

You can get a copy of FSF GNAT for windows from http://getadanow.com if needed.

David Botton

* Re: Binary Distribution - Ada utilities
@ 2015-04-14 18:40     ` Jeremiah
From: Jeremiah @ 2015-04-14 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Saturday, April 11, 2015 at 9:33:36 PM UTC-4, David Botton wrote:
> You can get a copy of FSF GNAT for windows from http://getadanow.com if needed.
>
> David Botton

For the windows version, are both TDM and the MingW32 FSF Gnat?  I couldn't find any reference on the TDM site itself.

* Re: Binary Distribution - Ada utilities
@ 2015-04-14 18:57       ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2015-04-14 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

> For the windows version, are both TDM and the MingW32 FSF Gnat?  I couldn't find any reference on the TDM site itself.

Yes

David Botton