* GNAT and MS Vista
@ 2012-05-26  9:33 AdaMagica
From: AdaMagica @ 2012-05-26  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm running Vista and GNAT GPL 2011. (I'm not sure that this problem has anything to do with GNAT.)

I build an exe called disptaching_test.exe. When I try to run it, it won't work correctly. What exactly happens seems irrelevant, because when I rename the executable (i.e. *rename the file*, not *build it with another name*) to e.g. xxx.exe, it works as expected.

The same happens when I rename another working Ada program to dispatching.exe.

So my question: Is there anything special in Vista with the name dispatching? Anyone seen such an effect? The windows help is no help here.

dispatching_test.exe
dispatching.exe
both do not work.
xxx.exe works as expected.

Thanks.

* Re: GNAT and MS Vista
@ 2012-05-26 12:41 ` gautier_niouzes
From: gautier_niouzes @ 2012-05-26 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le samedi 26 mai 2012 11:33:21 UTC+2, AdaMagica a écrit :
> I'm running Vista and GNAT GPL 2011. (I'm not sure that this problem has anything to do with GNAT.)
>
> I build an exe called disptaching_test.exe. When I try to run it, it won't work correctly. What exactly happens seems irrelevant, because when I rename the executable (i.e. *rename the file*, not *build it with another name*) to e.g. xxx.exe, it works as expected.
>
> The same happens when I rename another working Ada program to dispatching.exe.
>
> So my question: Is there anything special in Vista with the name dispatching? Anyone seen such an effect? The windows help is no help here.
>
> dispatching_test.exe
> dispatching.exe
> both do not work.
> xxx.exe works as expected.
>
> Thanks.

It is not clear what you mean by "it won't work correctly", then "do not work"... Nothing happens at all ? You get a wrong result ? It crashes ?

Are your running your .exe from the same directory as where it is located ?
If not, you have probably a "dispatching.exe" in the Path, that you are not aware of...
_________________________
Gautier's Ada programming
http://sf.net/users/gdemont

* Re: GNAT and MS Vista
@ 2012-05-26 18:26 ` Vinzent Hoefler
From: Vinzent Hoefler @ 2012-05-26 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

AdaMagica wrote:

> So my question: Is there anything special in Vista with the name dispatching? Anyone seen such an effect? The windows help is no help here.

Maybe it's the "patch" part. I know that Win7 tries to be smart and wants to
run any "setup" or "install" with administrative rights. I am only guessing,
but maybe having "patch" in the executable's name is as offending as having
"setup" or "install" in it...

Vinzent.

We cause accidents.
     -- Nathaniel Borenstein

* Re: GNAT and MS Vista
@ 2012-05-28 18:00   ` AdaMagica
From: AdaMagica @ 2012-05-28 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks Vinzent, you seem to be right.

I took any working (Ada) exe and renamed it:

- patch.exe
- dispatching.exe
don't work

- dispatch.exe
and some other combinations work.

Very strange... Darn vista

* Re: GNAT and MS Vista
@ 2012-05-29  6:57     ` gautier_niouzes
From: gautier_niouzes @ 2012-05-29  6:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le lundi 28 mai 2012 20:00:48 UTC+2, AdaMagica a écrit :

> - patch.exe
> - dispatching.exe
> don't work

What directory appears when you do
  which patch.exe
  which dispatching.exe
?

You can find which.exe there:
http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/which.htm (binaries)
HTH
Gautier's Ada programming
http://gautiersblog.blogspot.com/search/label/Ada
NB: follow the above link for a valid e-mail address