From: dewar@gnat.com
Subject: Re: SGI GNAT Question? (Long)
Date: 1999/03/04
Date: 1999-03-04T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <36DE8585.2B5E6A5C@spam.com>,
  spamwithchipsplease@spam.com wrote:

> What is 3.11b2 "based" on ? what is its version history ?
> does its ancestor tree ever meet up with the "public"
> 3.11p version history ? is 3.11b2 GPL ? which came first
> the "public" GNAT compiler or the ACT commercial compiler

As has been clearly stated before, 3.11p is derived from
the commercial version 3.11b2, and yes, of course all ACT
software is covered by the GPL.

> Am I write in presuming that the commerical version came
> first, since if the GPL version came first, then
> commercial version being a modification would be covered
> by the GPL

You are a bit confused here. So let me once again state how
we work at ACT.

There are basically three kinds of versions of GNAT around.

The Commercial versions (GNAT Professional)

The commercial versions, designated by letters like a/b/c.
These are distributed to customers, and represent the
versions that we fully support under support contracts.

These are of course all under the GPL, or GNAT modified
GPL, as appropriate (the modifications allow the runtime to
be used with non-GPL'ed programs).

Generally we prefer these not be further distributed by
our customers because

a) We don't want versions to be distributed publicly till
they are in good shape and installation glitch free, since
it will only be a nuisance for users with no access to
support to be confronted with many versions of GNAT, some
of which may have problems. This was for example the case
with versions 3.11b and 3.11b1, which had some minor
regressions that we cleared up before distributing 3.11b2.

b) If a release is in good shape for distribution, we make
a corresponding public release. In this case 3.11p is
basically identical to 3.11b2.

The Public Releases
-------------------

THese are our full technology with no kinds of restrictions
or limitations. We release public versions from time to
time to correspond to stable customer releases of GNAT
Professional.

Note that we do not provide any kind of support for these
versions, and furthermore, we do not make any claims
(validation, Y2K, compliance) or anything else for the
public versions. For one thing, we have no control over
what happens to the public versions once they are released.

The distinction in version
numbers is helpful, because it makes clear what we support
and what we do not support. The "p" versions are our full
unrestricted technology, but they do not come with any kind
of support from us. Nevertheless they have proved very
helpful for student and research use.

Wavefront "versions"
--------------------

These are designated by a w after the version. They are
based on our latest development sources, and have been
verified to pass the ACT regression tests, DEC regression
tests, and the ACVC tests, but have had no field testing.

We make them available to our customers on an individual
request basis when there is no other way to correct a
current problem.

Again, we note to our customers that it is not helpful to
the community to distribute these wavefront versions, since
they are definitely not in the same well-tested state as
our major releases.

Current State
-------------

We have an internal 3.12 development version with lots of
new exciting features, and a number of bug fixes. We expect
to release 3.12a for field testing to our customers in the
near future, and as soon as we have a stable version, a
corresponding 3.12p will be released.

Patches
-------

There are a few fairly important patches to 3.11 technology
that we have developed and are testing. We will release
these in the very near future. One of particular interest
is a patch to the 3.11p NT version that allows COM files
to be built in a straightforward manner.

Chinese Walls

No such thing at ACT, the world of open source software
does not need such things :-)

Robert Dewar
Ada Core Technologies