* Adding Ada/Gnat on the Open Source Poster.
@ 1999-03-02  0:00 nabbasi
From: nabbasi @ 1999-03-02  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Today at Linux week, there was a group making a large poster showing
the history of Open Source, called "The Evolution of Software". The poster
is not done, but will be soon. They did not have GNAT in there (even though
they should C++, gcc, Even Java. I argued with the person there to also add
GNAT.

if more people send him email saying to add GNAT, they'll do that before
the poster is final.

You can see the poster at www.bitmover.com/poster, suggestions should be
send to poster@osmgroup.com. The poster will be sold when done and
10% of profits will go to FSF. (The poster looks nice actually, it is
quite large is actuall size).

so, please send him email asking him to add GNAT. This will be good for Ada,
they had all sorts of time-line events about C++, but nothing about Ada !!

Nasser

* Re: Adding Ada/Gnat on the Open Source Poster.
@ 1999-03-03  0:00 ` dennison
From: dennison @ 1999-03-03  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <7biea7$peu@drn.newsguy.com>,
  nabbasi@pacbell.net wrote:
> Today at Linux week, there was a group making a large poster showing
> the history of Open Source, called "The Evolution of Software". The poster
> is not done, but will be soon. They did not have GNAT in there (even though
> they should C++, gcc, Even Java. I argued with the person there to also add
> GNAT.

On a related note, the OpenSource homepage ( http://www.opensoruce.org ) has
two areas of concern.

First, the "software that qualifies" page (
http://www.opensource.org/products.html ) that proports to contain a listing
of vendors selling open-source-based solutions contains the likes of Cygnus
and several smaller companies, but does not have ACT. I sent an email to the
"tell us" link with a little blurb about ACT and the URL of their website a
couple of weeks ago, but they are still not listed. A note from someone
better equipped to sell ACT (eg: The president? :-) ) might sway ESR to list
them. The purpose seems to be to show how "big time" OpenSource is, so I'd
think a small listing of ACT's Fortune 100 customers might do the trick.

Second, they are currently in the process of picking an official Open-Source
logo (URL: http://www.lerdorf.on.ca/os/ ). This will be a logo that anyone
developing OSS can put on their website or product to identify its Open Source
nature. A rather depressing amount of the candidates contain C/Java syntax
(mosly curly-braces). There is a forum there where you can publicly state your
opinion (you won't get a vote, but you may influence someone who does). Folks
who have actually authored Open Source software would be the most effective
voices there.

T.E.D.

* Re: Adding Ada/Gnat on the Open Source Poster.
@ 1999-03-04  0:00   ` Nick Roberts
From: Nick Roberts @ 1999-03-04  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I now have to own up to being the author (drawer?) of one of the said 'curly
braces' (putative) logos!  I believe the expression is "shot himself in the
foot."  (Sorry folks :-)

The URL is http://www.opensource.org and it's worth a visit.

-------------------------------------
Nick Roberts
-------------------------------------

* Re: Adding Ada/Gnat on the Open Source Poster.
@ 1999-03-05  0:00       ` Nick Roberts
From: Nick Roberts @ 1999-03-05  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mine are: 200, 245, 246 (the offender), and 247.  But take comfort from the
fact that none of them have the slightest chance of winning!  My artistic
prowess is really no better than Ted's (you can see).  Which is actually
very strange: my mother is an artist, my brother and sister are both
qualified architects (my sister now works as a multimedia designer, and an
extremely good one).  But that genes for you.

-------------------------------------
Nick Roberts
-------------------------------------

* Re: Adding Ada/Gnat on the Open Source Poster.
@ 1999-03-05  0:00         ` dennison
From: dennison @ 1999-03-05  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <7bp90j$gg8$1@plug.news.pipex.net>,
  "Nick Roberts" <Nick.Roberts@dial.pipex.com> wrote:
> Mine are: 200, 245, 246 (the offender), and 247.  But take comfort from the
> fact that none of them have the slightest chance of winning!  My artistic
> prowess is really no better than Ted's (you can see).  Which is actually

Well, I have to admit most of them are probably not among the best on the
page. But they hardly dip down into my territory either. When I try to draw,
I tend to get comments like "Is that supposed to be a moose?"

But 246 is very nice indeed, not counting the inappropriateness to Ada code.

T.E.D.

* Re: Adding Ada/Gnat on the Open Source Poster.
@ 1999-03-05  0:00     ` dennison
From: dennison @ 1999-03-05  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <7bofa4$nfd$1@plug.news.pipex.net>,
  "Nick Roberts" <Nick.Roberts@dial.pipex.com> wrote:
> I now have to own up to being the author (drawer?) of one of the said 'curly
> braces' (putative) logos!  I believe the expression is "shot himself in the
> foot."  (Sorry folks :-)

Out of curiosity, which one? Most of them were very nice looking. That is
actually part of the problem. If they were all so ugly as to be unlikely to be
picked, I wouldn't have bothered to speak up.

I should warn you that I am intensly jealous of folks with artistic ability. I
can't draw a straight line with a straightedge. :-(

> The URL is http://www.opensource.org and it's worth a visit.
The logos can be reached from that page, but the logo contest homepage is at
http://www.lerdorf.on.ca/os/ and the prospective logos themselves are at
http://www.lerdorf.on.ca/os/logos.php3

T.E.D.