From: Samuel Mize <smize@imagin.net>
Subject: Re: is everything child of Standard Package in Ada?
Date: 1999/03/03
Date: 1999-03-03T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Samuel Mize <smize@imagin.net> wrote:
> nabbasi@pacbell.net wrote:
>> hi,
>>
>> is it implicit that every package in Ada is a 'child' of Standard package?
>>
>> i.e. is package Ada a child of Standard package for example?
>
> Yes, see ARM 10.1.1(1).

Which will tell you nothing useful about this, but try here:

  ARM 10.1.1(1)

Which says (using caps for italics):

"Each library unit (except Standard) has a PARENT UNIT, which is a
library package or generic library package.  A library unit is a
CHILD of its parent unit.  The ROOT library units are the children
of the predefined library package Standard."

Also, 10.1.1(10):

"The PARENT DECLARATION of a library item (and of the library unit)
is the declaration denoted by the parent_unit_name, if any, of the
defining_program_unit_iname of the library_item.  If there is no
parent_unit_name, the parent declaration is the declaration of
Standard, the library_item is a root_library_item, and the library
unit (renaming)  is a ROOT library unit (renaming). ... The PARENT
UNIT of a library_item or library unit is the library unit declared
by its parent declaration."

And in 10.1.1(11):

"(Standard is an ancestor of every library unit.)"

Having said this, let me re-emphasize that Standard is a special
case, defined by the language.  You cannot refer to its children
with the child syntax, for example "Standard.Ada.Text_Io", although
you can refer to "Standard.Boolean" if you want to.

Best,
Sam Mize

--
Samuel Mize -- smize@imagin.net (home email) -- Team Ada