* Re: fyi: getopt package in Ada.
@ 1999-03-01  0:00   ` nabbasi
From: nabbasi @ 1999-03-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <7beicd$pop$1@nnrp1.dejanews.com>, robert_dewar@my-dejanews.com
says...

>I am sure that nabassi intends this, but just to point this
>out to others, these units are under the GPL, this means
>that they CAN NOT be used in other than GPL'ed programs.
>This is quite unlike the situation with GNAT libraries
>which use a modified GPL permitting their use in any
>kinds of program. It also means of course that we cannot
>distribute getopt.ads/adb as part of the GNAT library,
>which otherwise might be nice to do!

Thanks for pointing this, but I did NOT know this. Actually I wanted to
use same thing as GNAT, that is why I cut/past the generic header from
one of GNAT source files, and simply used GETOPT where it said GNAT !
(see below). So I am now confused.

I'll be happy to modify the header and repost it if I know what I
need to write to make it use the same as GNAT, and it will be great
if you can use the package aspart of GNAT (allready got email from
few who found it usefull).

Nasser
http://home.pacbell.net/nma123

--                                                                          --
--                         GNAT COMPILER COMPONENTS                         --
--                                                                          --
--                                T A B L E                                 --
--                                                                          --
--                                 B o d y                                  --
--                                                                          --
--                            $Revision: 1.36 $                             --
--                                                                          --
--          Copyright (C) 1992-1998 Free Software Foundation, Inc.          --
--                                                                          --
-- GNAT is free software;  you can  redistribute it  and/or modify it under --
-- terms of the  GNU General Public License as published  by the Free Soft- --
-- ware  Foundation;  either version 2,  or (at your option) any later ver- --
-- sion.  GNAT is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITH- --
-- OUT ANY WARRANTY;  without even the  implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY --
-- or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the GNU General Public License --
-- for  more details.  You should have  received  a copy of the GNU General --
-- Public License  distributed with GNAT;  see file COPYING.  If not, write --
-- to  the Free Software Foundation,  59 Temple Place - Suite 330,  Boston, --
-- MA 02111-1307, USA.                                                      --

* fyi: getopt package in Ada.
@ 1999-03-01  0:00 nabbasi
From: nabbasi @ 1999-03-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

-- for GNAT users, save this file, and do gnatchop on it. This will create
-- 3 files. getopt.ads, getopt.adb, test_getopt.adb

--                                                                          --
--                               G E T O P T                                --
--                                                                          --
--                                 S p e c                                  --
--                                                                          --
--$Header: getopt.ads,v 1.1.1.1 1999/03/01 12:23:04 nabbasi Exp $           --
--                                                                          --
--                  Copyright (C) 1998 Nasser Abbasi                        --
--                                                                          --
-- This is free software;  you can  redistribute it  and/or modify it under --
-- terms of the  GNU General Public License as published  by the Free Soft- --
-- ware  Foundation;  either version 2,  or (at your option) any later ver- --
-- sion. GETOPT is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITH --
-- OUT ANY WARRANTY;  without even the  implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY --
-- or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the GNU General Public License --
-- for  more details. Free Software Foundation,  59 Temple Place - Suite    --
-- 330,  Boston, MA 02111-1307, USA.                                        --
--                                                                          --
--                                                                          --

-- change history:
--
-- name         changes
-- ----------   --------------------------------------------------------------

-- This package is an Ada implementation of getopt() as specified by the
-- document "The Single UNIX Specification, Version 2", Copyright 1997 The
-- Open Group
--
-- Compiler used: GNAT 3.11p
-- Platform:      Linux 2.0.36 ( Red hat 5.2)

with Ada.Strings.Unbounded; use Ada.Strings.Unbounded;

package Getopt is

   function Getopt(Optstring : String)  return Integer;

   Optind : Positive;
   Optarg : Unbounded_String ;
   Optopt : Character := ' ';
   Opterr : Integer := 1;

end Getopt;

--                                                                          --
--                               G E T O P T                                --
--                                                                          --
--                                 BODY                                     --
--                                                                          --
--$Header: getopt.adb,v 1.2 1999/03/01 12:54:03 nabbasi Exp $               --
--                                                                          --
--                                                                          --
--                                                                          --
--                  Copyright (C) 1998 Nasser Abbasi                        --
--                       nabbasi@pacbell.net                                --
--                                                                          --
[...]

-- This describes the items involveed using example
--         curopt
--           |
--           V
-- "-f foo -dbc -k"
--  ^
--  |
-- optind
--
-- optind is position (index) that tells which command line argument is being
-- processed now.
-- Compiler used: GNAT 3.11p
-- Platform:      Linux 2.0.36 ( Red hat 5.2)
--

with Ada.Strings.Unbounded; use Ada.Strings.Unbounded;
with Ada.Command_Line; use Ada.Command_Line;
with Ada.Text_Io; use Ada.Text_Io;

package body Getopt is

   Curopt  : Natural := 2;

   procedure No_Optarg_Case is
   begin
                  if( Curopt < Argument(Optind)'Length) then
                     Curopt := Curopt +1;
                  else
                     Curopt := 2;
                     Optind := Optind+1;
                  end if;
   end No_Optarg_Case;

   function Getopt(Optstring : String)  return Integer is
   begin

      if ( Argument_Count = 0  or else optind > Argument_Count
           or  else ( Argument( optind )(1) /= '-')  ) then
         return -1;
      end if;

      if( Argument( optind )'Length = 1 ) then
         return -1;
      end if;

      -- according to The Single UNIX  Specification, Version 2, if "--"
      -- is found, return -1 after  ++optind.
      if( Argument( Optind )(2) = '-' ) then
         Optind := Optind + 1;
         return -1;
      end if;

      -- if we get here, the command argument has "-X"
      for I in Optstring'Range loop
         if( Optstring(I) = Argument( optind )( Curopt ) ) then
            if( I < Optstring'Length ) then
               if (Optstring(I+1) = ':') then

                  -- see if optarg stuck to optchar
                  if( Argument(Optind)'Length -  Curopt > 0 ) then
                     Optarg  := To_Unbounded_String(
                      Argument( optind )(Curopt+1..Argument( optind )'Length));
                     Curopt := Curopt + 1;
                     optind  := Optind + 1;
                     return character'pos(Optstring(I));
                  end if;

                  -- see if optarg on separate argument
                  if( Optind < Argument_Count ) then
                     Curopt := 2;
                     optind  := optind + 1;
                     optarg  := To_Unbounded_String (Argument(optind ));
                     optind  := optind + 1;
                     return character'Pos(Optstring(I));
                  else
                     Optind := Optind+1;
                     Optopt := Optstring(I);

                     if( Opterr=1  and Optstring(1) /= ':' ) then
                        Put_Line(Standard_Error,
                                 "Argument expected for the -"&
                                 Optstring(I..I) & " option");
                     end if;

                     if( Optstring(1) = ':' ) then
                        return Character'Pos(':');
                     else
                        return  Character'Pos('?');
                     end if;
                  end if;
               else  -- current optchar matches and has no arg option
                  No_Optarg_Case;
                  return character'pos(Optstring(I));
               end if;
            else -- last char in optstring, can't have argument
               No_Optarg_Case;
               return character'pos(Optstring(I));
            end if;
         end if;
      End loop;

      Optopt := Argument(Optind)( Curopt );
      No_Optarg_Case;

      -- we get here if current command argument not found in optstring
      return character'pos('?');

   end Getopt;

begin
   Optarg := To_Unbounded_String("");
   Optind := 1;
end Getopt;

-- Test example showing how to use GETOPT Ada package
-- Nasser Abbasi

with Ada.Text_Io; use Ada.Text_Io;
with Ada.Command_Line; use Ada.Command_Line;
with Ada.Strings.Unbounded; use Ada.Strings.Unbounded;

with Getopt;

procedure Test_Getopt is
   Test_String : String := "c:di:n:p:u:V";
   Optchar : character;
   Value   : Integer;
begin
    Getopt.Opterr := 1;

   loop
      Value := Getopt.Getopt( Test_String );
      exit when Value = -1;

      optchar :=  Character'Val( Value );
      case optchar is
         when 'c' =>
            Put_Line("commant is "& To_String(Getopt.Optarg));
         when 'd' =>
             Put_Line("debug on");
         when 'i' =>
            Put_line("got -i, its argument is:" & To_String(Getopt.Optarg) );
         when 'n' =>
            Put_line("got -n, its argument is:" & To_String(Getopt.Optarg));
         when 'p' =>
            Put_line("got -p, its argument is:" & To_String(Getopt.Optarg));
         when 'u' =>
            Put_line("got -u, its argument is:" & To_String(Getopt.Optarg));
         when 'V' =>
            Put_line("got -V");

         when '?' =>
            Put_Line("got ?, optopt is " & Getopt.Optopt);

         when ':' =>
            Put_Line("get :, optopt is "& Getopt.optopt);

         when others => null;
      end case;
   end loop;

   -- now lets print the remaining arguments if any
   declare
     Index : positive;
   begin
      Index := Getopt.Optind;
      for I in Index..Argument_Count loop
         Put_Line( Argument(I) );
      end loop;
   end;

end Test_Getopt;

* Re: fyi: getopt package in Ada.
@ 1999-03-01  0:00 ` robert_dewar
From: robert_dewar @ 1999-03-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <7be4kn$6rc@drn.newsguy.com>,
  nabbasi@pacbell.net wrote:
> for GNAT users, save this file, and do gnatchop on it.
> This will create 3 files. getopt.ads, getopt.adb,
> test_getopt.adb

I am sure that nabassi intends this, but just to point this
out to others, these units are under the GPL, this means
that they CAN NOT be used in other than GPL'ed programs.
This is quite unlike the situation with GNAT libraries
which use a modified GPL permitting their use in any
kinds of program. It also means of course that we cannot
distribute getopt.ads/adb as part of the GNAT library,
which otherwise might be nice to do!

I certainly don't intend this as criticism in the least.
Every author has the absolute right to decide how to
license their copyrighted work, but it is perhaps useful
that people are very aware of the important distinction
here. I often find people for instance who are not aware
that cygwin32 is distributed with similar limitations, and
just assume they can use it in their proprietary programs.

* still Looking for GNAT modified GPL header
@ 1999-03-02  0:00       ` nabbasi
From: nabbasi @ 1999-03-02  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <7bg8vm$i43$1@cf01.edf.fr>, "Pascal says...

>>Thanks for pointing this, but I did NOT know this. Actually I wanted to
>>use same thing as GNAT, that is why I cut/past the generic header from
>>one of GNAT source files, and simply used GETOPT where it said GNAT !
>>(see below). So I am now confused.
>>

>You must use an header from a GNAT libraries, For example :

The header of GNAT library module (such as S P I T B O L) you posted and
GNAT COMPILER COMPONENTS  such as  I N T E R F A C E S . C, is
the same ! and it is the same header I used (which I copied from one
of GNAT files.

I still can;t find a header anywhere in GNAT sources that says "modified"
GPL on it. or different than what I used on my file.  according to the
GNAT README, it seems the GNAT RUN-TIME is under this modified GPL. but
when I look at a header of one such file such as A D A . T A G S, (run-time
component) it is the same as all the others. so where is this header hiding?

on http://www.gnat.com, I see this:

-------------------------
Q: But What About the Runtime?

The runtime units that are included in your GNAT program, including
all the units in the standard library, and those that are
implicitly included for such functions as tasking, are distributed
under a modified version of the GPL which makes sure that
you can WITHOUT RESTRICTIONS distribute executables built by GNAT
in any manner you like, with whatever license restrictions you choose.
This modified GPL does not impose any obligations for distribution or
disclosure of sources. This means that you can use GNAT freely to
generate classified, proprietary, or otherwise restricted applications.
And of course
there is no question of a runtime license fee, since you can copy the runtime
units freely.
-------------------------

But where is this header that says it is using a modified GPL so I can
cut/paste it?

thanks :)

Nasser

* Re: still Looking for GNAT modified GPL header
@ 1999-03-02  0:00         ` dennison
From: dennison @ 1999-03-02  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <7bgeqg$qji@drn.newsguy.com>,
  nabbasi@pacbell.net wrote:
> In article <7bg8vm$i43$1@cf01.edf.fr>, "Pascal says...
> >
> >You must use an header from a GNAT libraries, For example :
> >

> The header of GNAT library module (such as S P I T B O L) you posted and
> GNAT COMPILER COMPONENTS  such as  I N T E R F A C E S . C, is
> the same ! and it is the same header I used (which I copied from one
> of GNAT files.

No. The first part was the same, but the header Pascal posted had an
*exception* at the end. That's the important part. That part allows users to
compile against those packages without the resultant executable being GPL.

The extra text at the end which you missed is the following (cut from the file
header in GNAT/lib/gcc-lib/pentium-mingw32msv/2.8.1/adainclude/g-spitbo.ads):

--                                                                          --
-- As a special exception,  if other files  instantiate  generics from this --
-- unit, or you link  this unit with other files  to produce an executable, --
-- this  unit  does not  by itself cause  the resulting  executable  to  be --
-- covered  by the  GNU  General  Public  License.  This exception does not --
-- however invalidate  any other reasons why  the executable file  might be --
-- covered by the  GNU Public License.                                      --
--                                                                          --

Just add this paragraph to the end of your GPL notice in the file headers and
you'll be ok.

If you copy a file header from the source code for the compiler itself, rather
than one of the packages inteded for a *user* of the compiler, I would expect
you to not see this paragraph. That helps prevent anyone from building a
prorietary compiler on the free work done by others.

T.E.D.

* Re: still Looking for GNAT modified GPL header
@ 1999-03-02  0:00           ` nabbasi
From: nabbasi @ 1999-03-02  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <874so47zgm.fsf@zaphod.enst.fr>, Samuel says...

>In Ada.Tags, as you wrote ;-) (for example)
>
>The key point is this special paragraph:
>
>-- As a special exception,  if other files  instantiate  generics from this --
>-- unit, or you link  this unit with other files  to produce an executable, --
>-- this  unit  does not  by itself cause  the resulting  executable  to  be --
>-- covered  by the  GNU  General  Public  License.  This exception does not --
>-- however invalidate  any other reasons why  the executable file  might be --
>-- covered by the  GNU Public License.                                      --
>
>Note that this part is present only for GNAT *runtime* files, not GNAT
>compiler files.

oh, OK :)  I would never have guessed. (All this legal mumble jumble is
foreign to me, I just a programmer.) But I'll change my getopt package and
add the above stuff to its header.

thanks!
Nasser

* Re: fyi: getopt package in Ada.
@ 1999-03-02  0:00     ` robert_dewar
From: robert_dewar @ 1999-03-02  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <7bepgc$mls@drn.newsguy.com>,
  nabbasi@pacbell.net wrote:
> Thanks for pointing this, but I did NOT know this.
> Actually I wanted to
> use same thing as GNAT, that is why I cut/past the >
> generic header from
> one of GNAT source files, and simply used GETOPT where it
> said GNAT !
> (see below). So I am now confused.

You copied one of the compiler files that is indeed quite
deliberately distributed under the GPL, and CANNOT be
incorporated into proprietary software. GNAT and its tools
are generally licensed in this way.

You want to copy the header from the runtime files, which

is the GNAT modified GPL (how about calling it GGPL):

[...]

@ 1999-03-02  0:00         ` dewar
                           ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: dewar @ 1999-03-02  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

  nabbasi@pacbell.net wrote:
> In article <7bg8vm$i43$1@cf01.edf.fr>, "Pascal says...
> >

> The header of GNAT library module (such as S P I T B O L)
> you posted and GNAT COMPILER COMPONENTS  such as  I N T E
> R F A C E S . C, is the same ! and it is the same header
> I used (which I copied from one  of GNAT files.

This is quite wrong. Both these files use the modified GPL.
It is I suppose possible that you are looking at a public
copy of 3.11p that has been modified by someone, but I
doubt it. More likely you are just not looking carefully.

You will not find the word modified in the description.
The header is indeed modified, to include the exclusion
paragraph, but it does not include the word modified,
and no one ever said it did!

Robert Dewar
Ada Core Technologies

* Re: fyi: getopt package in Ada.
@ 1999-03-02  0:00     ` nabbasi
From: nabbasi @ 1999-03-02  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <7bepgc$mls@drn.newsguy.com>, nabbasi@pacbell.net says...

>In article <7beicd$pop$1@nnrp1.dejanews.com>, robert_dewar@my-dejanews.com
>says...
>
>kinds of program. It also means of course that we cannot
>>distribute getopt.ads/adb as part of the GNAT library,
>>which otherwise might be nice to do!

I've changed it. Now it uses the modified GPL.

Please see current getopt package at:

http://home.pacbell.net/nma123

(I also compield it with  -gnatapg. )

Ok, I am off now to go to the Linux week expo here in San jose. it should
be fun :)

Nasser

* Re: fyi: getopt package in Ada.
@ 1999-03-02  0:00     ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 1999-03-02  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

nabbasi@pacbell.net a �crit dans le message <7bepgc$mls@drn.newsguy.com>...
>In article <7beicd$pop$1@nnrp1.dejanews.com>, robert_dewar@my-dejanews.com
>says...
>>

>>I am sure that nabassi intends this, but just to point this
>>out to others, these units are under the GPL, this means
>>that they CAN NOT be used in other than GPL'ed programs.
>>This is quite unlike the situation with GNAT libraries
>>which use a modified GPL permitting their use in any
>>kinds of program. It also means of course that we cannot
>>distribute getopt.ads/adb as part of the GNAT library,
>>which otherwise might be nice to do!
>>

>Thanks for pointing this, but I did NOT know this. Actually I wanted to
>use same thing as GNAT, that is why I cut/past the generic header from
>one of GNAT source files, and simply used GETOPT where it said GNAT !
>(see below). So I am now confused.

You must use an header from a GNAT libraries, For example :

--                         GNAT LIBRARY
--                         G N A T . S P I T B O
--                                 S p e
--                            $Revision: 1.18
--           Copyright (C) 1997-1999 Ada Core Technologies,
[...]
-- GNAT is maintained by Ada Core Technologies Inc
ttp://www.gnat.com).   --

Pascal.

* Re: still Looking for GNAT modified GPL header
@ 1999-03-02  0:00         ` Samuel Tardieu
From: Samuel Tardieu @ 1999-03-02  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nabbasi

nabbasi> But where is this header that says it is using a modified GPL
nabbasi> so I can cut/paste it?

In Ada.Tags, as you wrote ;-) (for example)

The key point is this special paragraph:

-- As a special exception,  if other files  instantiate  generics from this --
-- unit, or you link  this unit with other files  to produce an executable, --
-- this  unit  does not  by itself cause  the resulting  executable  to  be --
-- covered  by the  GNU  General  Public  License.  This exception does not --
-- however invalidate  any other reasons why  the executable file  might be --
-- covered by the  GNU Public License.                                      --

Note that this part is present only for GNAT *runtime* files, not GNAT
compiler files.

  Sam
--
Samuel Tardieu -- sam@ada.eu.org

* Re: still Looking for GNAT modified GPL header
                           ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1999-03-03  0:00         ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 1999-03-03  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)