From: dennison@telepath.com
Subject: Re: still Looking for GNAT modified GPL header
Date: 1999/03/02
Date: 1999-03-02T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <7bgeqg$qji@drn.newsguy.com>,
  nabbasi@pacbell.net wrote:
> In article <7bg8vm$i43$1@cf01.edf.fr>, "Pascal says...
> >
> >You must use an header from a GNAT libraries, For example :
> >

> The header of GNAT library module (such as S P I T B O L) you posted and
> GNAT COMPILER COMPONENTS  such as  I N T E R F A C E S . C, is
> the same ! and it is the same header I used (which I copied from one
> of GNAT files.

No. The first part was the same, but the header Pascal posted had an
*exception* at the end. That's the important part. That part allows users to
compile against those packages without the resultant executable being GPL.

The extra text at the end which you missed is the following (cut from the file
header in GNAT/lib/gcc-lib/pentium-mingw32msv/2.8.1/adainclude/g-spitbo.ads):

--                                                                          --
-- As a special exception,  if other files  instantiate  generics from this --
-- unit, or you link  this unit with other files  to produce an executable, --
-- this  unit  does not  by itself cause  the resulting  executable  to  be --
-- covered  by the  GNU  General  Public  License.  This exception does not --
-- however invalidate  any other reasons why  the executable file  might be --
-- covered by the  GNU Public License.                                      --

Just add this paragraph to the end of your GPL notice in the file headers and
you'll be ok.

If you copy a file header from the source code for the compiler itself, rather
than one of the packages inteded for a *user* of the compiler, I would expect
you to not see this paragraph. That helps prevent anyone from building a
prorietary compiler on the free work done by others.

T.E.D.