* Need Ada 83 to Java 1.2 translator.
@ 1999-02-25  0:00 R. T. Bailey
From: R. T. Bailey @ 1999-02-25  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Are there any tools available for translating Ada83 to Java 1.2??

R. T. Bailey

* Re: Need Ada 83 to Java 1.2 translator.
@ 1999-02-28  0:00 ` Shayne Flint
From: Shayne Flint @ 1999-02-28  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

"R. T. Bailey" wrote:

> Are there any tools available for translating Ada83 to Java 1.2??

Why do you want to convert to Java? If you want to run your code on any
JVM or you want to make use of Java API's etc., then why not compile
your Ada-83 code with one of the Ada95 to Java byte code compilers (eg.
ObjectAda from Aonix)?  You may need to make some changes, but it would
be a lot easier than trying to convert the stuff - even if a suitable
converter were available. You may even like to make use of some Ada-95
language features in the process!!

> R. T. Bailey

-- Shayne Flint
-- Room N222, CSIT Building, Department of Computer Science
-- The Australian National University
-- Tel: +61-2-6279-8183   Fax: +61-2-6249-0010
-- http://cs.anu.edu.au/people/Shayne.Flint

* Re: Need Ada 83 to Java 1.2 translator.
@ 1999-03-01  0:00   ` dewar
From: dewar @ 1999-03-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <7be3pp$cbc$1@nnrp1.dejanews.com>,
  robert_dewar@my-dejanews.com wrote:
> I would recommend investigating the JGNAT technology,
> which will allow you to run your existing Ada 83 code in
> a JVM environment. Contact sales@gnat.com for details on
> this technology.

Since we were just talking about ads, let me say that I
am not sure the above was appropriate (a general
announcement on JGNAT would be more reasonable). In fact
I did not intend to post this response, I meant to send
it as email -- I guess I must have pushed a wrong button,
or something strange happened. It is certainly not so
terrible to post something like the above, but I try to
stay clearly on the line of brief informative
announcements, so sorry if this annoyed anyone!

Robert Dewar
Ada Core Technologies

* Re: Need Ada 83 to Java 1.2 translator.
@ 1999-03-01  0:00     ` Pat Rogers
From: Pat Rogers @ 1999-03-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

dewar@gnat.com wrote in message <7beisp$qan$1@nnrp1.dejanews.com>...
>In article <7be3pp$cbc$1@nnrp1.dejanews.com>,
>  robert_dewar@my-dejanews.com wrote:
>> I would recommend investigating the JGNAT technology,
>> which will allow you to run your existing Ada 83 code in
>> a JVM environment. Contact sales@gnat.com for details on
>> this technology.
>
>Since we were just talking about ads, let me say that I
>am not sure the above was appropriate (a general
>announcement on JGNAT would be more reasonable). In fact
>I did not intend to post this response, I meant to send
>it as email -- I guess I must have pushed a wrong button,
>or something strange happened. It is certainly not so
>terrible to post something like the above, but I try to
>stay clearly on the line of brief informative
>announcements, so sorry if this annoyed anyone!

Seems fine to me.  :-)

* Re: Need Ada 83 to Java 1.2 translator.
@ 1999-03-01  0:00     ` Ed Falis
From: Ed Falis @ 1999-03-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 01 Mar 1999 17:31:05 GMT, dewar@gnat.com wrote:
> or something strange happened. It is certainly not so
> terrible to post something like the above, but I try to
> stay clearly on the line of brief informative
> announcements, so sorry if this annoyed anyone!

Only us other Ada-JVM vendors ;-)

Not terrible, really.

- Ed

* Re: Need Ada 83 to Java 1.2 translator.
@ 1999-03-01  0:00 ` robert_dewar
From: robert_dewar @ 1999-03-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)