From: robert_dewar@my-dejanews.com
Subject: Re: Adding Things to Package System
Date: 1999/02/28
Date: 1999-02-28T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <1999Feb26.202551.9334@nosc.mil>,
  claveman@cod.nosc.mil (Charles H. Sampson) wrote:
> I would like
> to see some authority (is an ARG 95 in business?) come
> out very strongly
> in favor of the second sentence of 13.7(36): Any
> additions to System
> should be done in a child package rather than in System
> itself.

Yes the ARG is still in business, but what point is there
in the action you recommend. The RM is already "strongly
in favor of the second sentence of 13.7(36)". A ruling
from the ARG that says nothing more than "we are in favor
of this sentence, and we think the RM is right, and people
should follow this advice" would seem completely useless to
me.

Note that there is a good reason for this rule: It was to
allow existing Ada 83 compilers to be converted to Ada 95
without introducing incompatibilities from the removal of
stuff in System.

It is certainly valuable for a compiler to at least have
a mode in which it does not add junk to System. If this
is an important criterion for you in compiler acquisition,
then fair enough, make it an up-front requirement!