From: robert_dewar@my-dejanews.com
Subject: Re: Compiler implementation of speciallized needs annexes.
Date: 1999/02/25
Date: 1999-02-25T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <36D44E24.E8888218@hso.link.com>,
  "Samuel T. Harris" <sam_harris@hso.link.com> wrote:
> I half expect a compiler vendor to implement the
> distributed
> system annex with CORBA. Given such a beast, I get the
> best
> of both worlds and the distributed systems annex provides
> a "natural" intermediary step to getting folks to take
> deeper steps into CORBA. From my limited knowledge of the
> specifics of CORBA, I don't think this would be a major
> effort. If this is true, then any vendor should be able
> to support Ada's distributed systems without a huge
> investment since CORBA solves many of the nitty-gritty
> implementation problems.

It solves a very small part, and rather easy part, of the
whole picture. Note that annex E requires pretty major
compiler work to generate the required stubs. The use
of CORBA may simplify parts of the PCS, but it also
complicates other parts of it. Not at all clear that it
would be a significant help at all in the implementation
effort.