From: bill <bill@newsguy.com>
Subject: Re: What is ADA?
Date: 1999/02/23
Date: 1999-02-23T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <36D2A554.88EF1F69@Maths.UniNe.CH>, Gautier says...

>To be clear: large programs, not small. If your program is
>less than 10'000 lines, some compilers will refuse to compile
>it: "Error at line 9702: End-of-file found. No serious
>usage of Ada. No object file produced; please add stuff
>and retry.".
>And try to hide identifiers like "Bitmap", "Mouse", too.

speaking of large programs.

I heared that when the goverment used to pay contractors for
code by how counting how many lines of code, a paying some fee
per/line, that people used to write large amount of dead code
which does nothing but increase the size of the program, as in:

if( false )
   x:= 1;
   y:=2;
   x:=y;
   y:=2;
else
   -- ok, do real work now, we earned enough goverment money allready :)
 end if

btw, notice that in Java, the above is not possible. Java does not
allow code that can't be reached from being compiled. (which can
sometimes be annoying actually).

bill