From: "Randy Brukardt" <randy@rrsoftware.com>
Subject: Re: NT Service, WinSock
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 19:21:05 -0600
Date: 2000-10-30T19:21:05-06:00	[thread overview]

Ted Dennison wrote in message <8tk5bf$lgh$1@nnrp1.deja.com>...

>Would someone familiar with CLAW care to comment on how/if it handles
NT
>services? I'm interested in what other thick bindings have done.

Sure. Claw doesn't have a services package. I don't think anyone has
ever asked for one. We do have a thin binding to the services APIs for
Janus/Ada; I needed that to control our E-Mail server. (That binding is
included with the compiler).

As far as the threading issues go, that pretty much is outside of the
scope of Claw. Our goal is to use mechanisms that will work on any Ada
95 compiler. Certainly issues with threading and Ada tasks differ
widely; we've had lots of problems with differences in handling the task
that manages windows.

I probably would have written a package something like yours, but I
discovered a program called "srvany.exe" on one of the Microsoft CD's.
It allows any console program to be run as a service. For my
applications (to be used only by me), that is sufficient, so I've just
been using it with Ada console applications.

                    Randy Brukardt
                    R.R. Software, Inc.