From: nabbasi@pacbell.net
Subject: Re: Parser/lexer generator ANTLR
Date: 1999/02/18
Date: 1999-02-18T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <7ahri9$tkm$1@nnrp1.dejanews.com>, dennison@telepath.com says...

>Yet another engineer w/ 10 years of Java experience? I don't know what you
>find so unusual about that. :-)

Around 1981, I saw an Ad in the LA times asking for an Ada engineer with
5 years experience. When I called, the secretery insisted that is
the minumum requirment they want. I dont think there was even a commerical
Ada compiler in 1981.

I am always amazed why number of years in some specific language matter.
If someone has allready been programming for few years in any langauge
(except may be in VB :), and they 'understand' software. then they can
learn a new language in few short weeks, if not few days. To get a good 'feel'
for the language might take few more short weeks at most, but that is all.

This is like asking an good painter how many years of experience they have been
drawing in one specific brand of brush or type of paint. It does not really
matter. But try to explain that to those who write those job ads.

Nasser